Friday, November 2, 2018

A warning

Hi everyone, I'm actually on my second weight loss "journey" I guess. This isn't about that as much as it is about the first time I tried to lose weight. The first time I was successful at losing weight was fueled by an extreme depression I hit in high school. I didn't treat dieting like a way to lose weight, but rather as a way to punish myself. I lost 30 pounds in two months, and religiously calorie counted to the point that my main meal of the day was just plain lettuce for lunch. I was young, about 17. And to be honest I was over weight, but it was so easy to slip from trying to better myself into litterally almost trying to fade away.

Which in itself was awful. But then, after about three months of restriction, I found myself in extreme abdominal pain.

My gallbladder developed stones. This was probably something I was already prone too, but because I restricted my diet and cut so much fat out it exasperated the symptoms.

At seventeen I had to get my gallbladder removed, which oddly knocked me out of the horrible mindset I had gotten myself in. (Thank God)

Anyway, just be careful. There's nothing wrong with trying to lose weight, but it should never be a way to punish yourself. And read up on your medical history before doing such. Extreme dieting can bring out symptoms that shouldn't have occurred until much later in life.

A body with an average bmi is healthy, but not if it's achieved in unhealthy ways.

Anyway, I hope my mistakes can help others. I don't entirely regret what I did to myself, it helped me learn a lot about my relationship with food and gave me many insights to avoid the same mistakes.

Just be careful.

submitted by /u/squidpodiatrist
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2qss7eZ

No comments:

Post a Comment