Saturday, November 3, 2018

How do you stop other people’s insecurities from hurting you?

Background: I was 304 lbs this time two years ago. I’m now around 234. Still a long way to go, but I’m getting there. I have PCOS, BED, depression, and BDD, so weight loss has been incredibly slow and very challenging for me, but I’ve been giving it my all for nearly two years straight.

Now: Last week I got a free t-shirt at work for a volunteer event. I thought I’d have to get a 2XL but I was shocked to find that the Large fit perfectly! I was so, so proud of myself. Later in the week I was given the opportunity to get another t-shirt and I wanted to get one for my mom, as I work for a nonprofit and she is always so proud of my work with said nonprofit. This time they only had Large and XL. My mom is a Medium, but I figured I’d grab her the Large and she’d be happy with it. When I gave it to her, I said “sorry it’s a Large, they didn’t have any smaller sizes” and the first words out of her mouth were “Oh, it’s okay. I’m getting big and fat and disgusting now anyway.” Like, Jesus Christ. I know those are her self image problems and have literally nothing to do with me, but comments like that literally destroy me. I know for a fact she had no idea what she was saying was mean to me because it wasn’t about me, but it’s still really upsetting. I need some advice to keep my progress going in the face of other people’s comments. Has anyone been in a similar situation? How do you deal with it? These comments are not new from my mother but have been fewer and further in between since her and I had a talk a few years ago about body image. But when they happen they still hurt and I haven’t really learned a way to cope with it yet.

submitted by /u/livkhaleesi
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2AK7uAL

No comments:

Post a Comment