Friday, November 2, 2018

I'm graphing my weight loss/fitness data. [Discussion/Feedback]

Hi y'all, I'm a biologist so I love data and analyzing it. So, when I started losing weight in 2015, I weighed myself everyday and put it into a excel document. I then plotted it on a graph and used a linear regression to predict my future weight loss which worked and was pretty accurate for all of 2015 until I "fell off the wagon." I've been lifting weights lately and I'm geared towards losing all of the weight I intended but now I bought a body analyzer scale to keep track of my progress. I know its not 100% accurate, but who has money to go to get a DEXA scan everyday. So now I have a data set for weight and roughly estimated Body fat %, Muscle Mass %, Water Weight % and Bone Mass. I input my weight and all those other things in and it gives me back my body composition in pounds, calculates a change from yesterday and tells me if I'm in the "good" in green or I need to work on it in red. It also graphs my data with a regression line to show a trend. Has anybody else done this during/with their weight loss and if so I'd love some pointers or feedback on how to improve my data collection and analysis.

Boring details:
My scale give me my weight and bone in lbs but everything else in percentages so I made it transform percentage that you input on the left and give you an output of lbs in the middle of the table. I then used that body fat and muscle and water weight in lbs to calculate the difference from the day before on the left of the table.

For the graph I just did my weight on the primary axis (right hand y-axis) and all the body composition data such as my body fat weight, muscle mass, water weight was on a secondary axis (left hand y-axis)

Misc: I formatted the table so that "good" things (fat loss and muscle gain) are in green, "bad" things (fat gain and muscle loss) are in red, no change is yellow and water weight is blue because it doesn't really matter to me. It took me a while to learn how to use offsets to make the graph automatically update with new data and how to hide values if no data present in the input.

TLDR:
Here's a pic of how my data looks like right now. Feedback is appreciated.
https://imgur.com/a/yuDj1vB (Click to zoom in because it looks bad if you don't)

submitted by /u/pwn3dbyth3n00b
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2SG590Q

No comments:

Post a Comment