Monday, November 19, 2018

I've officially lost 40lbs for my surgery!

To quickly introduce myself, I'm an 18 year old female; I'm 5'9; my start weight was 273 and I am now 230. I also have a genetic disorder (ehlers-danlos syndrome) that results in frequent dislocations of my joints.

This summer, after +25 dislocations of my left kneecap, my medical team and I decided it was necessary to reconstruct my MPFL with cadaver tissue. I saw my surgeon in July to go over the game plan for surgery and we decided to do it in January of 2019, while I was on break from school. My surgeon also had a brutally honest conversation with me about my weight at that point. He explained to me how complications for surgery were much more likely because I was obese, and I was already at risk for increased complications from my genetic disorder.

I have had this same conversation with so many doctors over the years. My neurologist, my cardiologist, my geneticist, my pcp, and so many more. Always telling me that my excessive weight is adding extra strain onto my joints, extra strain that they can't handle. It turns out the reality check I needed was surgery. I am scared shitless of surgery. And while I would still need this surgery if I had been skinny my entire life, being obese will make my recovery much more difficult.

My goal is to lose another 15lbs before surgery in January. After surgery, I'll be eating cleanly at maintenance/very slight deficit for a couple months to insure that my body has proper nutrition and strength to heal (at my PCP's recommendation). But I don't anticipate on stopping my weight loss journey anytime soon. Even just losing 40lbs has made significant improvement in my day to day pain levels and my self confidence.

I'm going to see my surgeon next week to get the last details for surgery ironed out. He hasn't seen me since I started losing weight and I know he's going to be really proud of me. I'm proud of myself for finally taking control of my health.

submitted by /u/PhotosyntheticBlur
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2QPYY90

No comments:

Post a Comment