Tuesday, November 13, 2018

NSV: Weighed myself in public for the first time since High School

Ok, so some backstory in two parts: when I was in high school, I was around 200-210 lbs. I went to a high school that focused on medical, and one day we had to weigh ourselves in front of our ENTIRE. CLASS. I was the second heaviest person in class, and now everyone in my class knew that. It was mortifying. It gave me serious anxiety about ever weighing myself in front of another person and truly did a lot of work tying my self-worth to my weight (hooray peer pressure and embarrassment!).

backstory part 2: In the south we have a supermarket chain called Publix, and as I'm sure lots of markets do, they have scales at the front so you can weigh yourself. The last time I weighed myself on one of those Publix scales, I weighed over 220 lbs. Yikes. That was probably 2006?

This past weekend we went to Publix to start stocking for a Friendsgiving event we're doing this weekend, and I've been feeling really good about myself. I have been watching what I eat, eating more reasonable portions, and making healthier decisions for the last 8+ months and had been starting to get curious about whether my scale at home-- which was reporting 170-- was inaccurate. So I did the dreaded thing. I stepped on the Publix Scale.

166! It was the first time I'd ever seen a number that low on that scale, and I realized that I wasn't actually afraid to step on the scale that time. I'm 5'8, and my goal weight is 165. I'm officially down 33 lbs from when I got serious about weight loss (june-- my highest weight was 260-ish a few years back & been slowly trending downward with some upticks) and ready to maintain! But more importantly, I'm not afraid of facing my weight now. I feel happier than I have in a long time and I think I'm finally starting to grow comfortable in my skin.

submitted by /u/hayllyn
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2B4Zivn

No comments:

Post a Comment