Thursday, November 8, 2018

Sometimes it’s easier to just fail than to keep trying to improve yourself with the fear of failing always lurking.

I got a little off track for a few days around Halloween/the election. It happens. I know it’s not impossible to pick myself back up and get back on track, but when it came time to eat lunch today, I was actively struggling.

I forced myself to sit with my feelings. I was feeling pretty blah. I wanted to go to Arby’s and get curly fries as a pick me up. What’s one more “bad” meal, right? And I realized that I have a lot of internal dialogue around how I can only ever stick with a weight loss attempt for a few months... I knew this time I’d fail again... I just knew it.

So then I forced myself to imagine getting something healthy. And then I thought, what the hell is the point of a healthy lunch if I’m just going to fail anyway? And sitting and reflecting on that rebuttal in my own head made it all clear. I realized that I fail only when I convince myself that failure was predetermined all along.

But here is the thing. It’s not.

So I had a healthy lunch. I had an apple for a snack. My future isn’t predetermined. I will almost certain skip tracking or eat too much candy again before I die. But then instead of berating myself and saying “see, you’re a huge loser who stands no chance of losing weight, I knew you’d fail all along,” I can say instead, “so you ate too many Butterfingers. Who cares? You haven’t failed until you’ve given up. And you are NOT about to give up over some damn Butterfingers!”

Here’s to a healthy dinner and a lifetime of small failures.

submitted by /u/GreenTrafficMap
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2OyWjhZ

No comments:

Post a Comment