Tuesday, November 6, 2018

SV + NSV + Major Milestone – I became a proud loser.

Progress pics:

https://www.reddit.com/r/progresspics/comments/9urq18/m28511_310lbs_198lbs_112lbs_the_growing_amount_of/

Over the past few months, I've started writing this post multiple times, but always felt I'm not "worthy" of being in this community, but today something clicked, I feel better writing these lines, though I'll still rely extensively on the guidelines to organize my thoughts. Hope you don't mind. :)

First things first, the data:

  • age: 28
  • sex: M
  • height: 182 cm
  • starting weight (SW): 140 kgs
  • current weight: 89 kgs
  • goal weight: around 90 kgs, with a better fat to muscle ratio.

After finishing university, I became a project manager 4 years ago, working 8–10 hours daily in an office. Due to the sitting lifestyle involved with this, I've started gaining more and more weight, which in turn caused health concerns, then a perceived inability to do any kind of physical activity, the stress being on the word "perceived".

I made myself believe that I cannot change anything, because "work is too stressful and my weight and health issues don't allow me to do any sports". I've basically chased myself into a downward spiral.

The health issues I've had may sound familiar to some of you (the list is not complete):

  • hemorrhoids
  • joint pain
  • diarrhea
  • sleep apnea
  • reflux, especially at night
  • high blood pressure
  • Fatty Liver Syndrome

Fast forward to 2017: I had a routine blood test, my family doctor thought that I may have thyroid problems, luckily, this was not the case, but all my liver related values showed concerning values, so I had to go to a hepatologist. Turns out I had a reversible but rather ugly case of FLS. The doctor told me that I shouldn't be overly worried, but I should try to lose weight.

This was the tipping point in my life because while I wished to lose weight, I couldn't make myself do it. However, my father passed away when I was 17 due to complications all coming from FLS, with his case progressing to liver cirrhosis, so while my case is still reversible, I've seen firsthand where neglecting the signs can lead. I've requested an appointment with a dietitian, to help me set me on my path.

With her guidance, we've determined the daily target calorie and fat amounts (among others, with these two being the most important in my case), plus the minimum amount of physical activity to aim for.

Currently I'm consuming about 1600-1800 calories daily, trying to keep my daily fat intake around 40 grams max.

I've also dropped all alcohol from my life, while I do enjoy being intoxicated, it affects my liver + alcohol contains too much calories.

In terms of activities, I went from cycling and walking at the first months to jogging, cycling, swimming, going to the gym and finally nowadays, rock climbing. I'm trying to build "functional" muscles, I don't care about becoming bulky.

Over the coming months, up to today, I've felt better and better. Back in April I've had issues with even jogging for 500 metres, Today 5 kilometres means a simple after-work relaxation session. I'm still slow, but endurance-wise I'm light years ahead of my past self. I am even chasing the dream of being able to do an iron man triathlon in two years, to celebrate my 30th birthday, although it's still a very (very very) distant goal, but it keeps me going. :)

As of today, I am calling myself a "loser with a twist".

I've lost 50 kgs, all the above mentioned health concerns except FLS (according to the doctor, it'll take at least 6 more months until the results are visible on my liver), lost the bad thoughts and lots of stress both in my personal and professional life, and also lost 4 X's from my t-shirt sizes – today I went to work in an L sized shirt for the first time in my life (the blue shirt with 2011. 04. 27. is back from Uni, I never got to wear it back then).

My story is still a considerable way from being complete, but I feel I've learned the lesson from my own mistakes to keep me going for the coming years. It'll nevertheless be a challenge to avoid gaining back what I've lost, but I'm positive I'll be able to manage. :)

__________________________

What was the biggest change you made that helped you meet this goal?

Counting calories and exercising, no magic involved. In terms of diet, I'm all for meat. deep-fried food, and sweets. It's not a very good combo for weight loss, but it can still be inserted in a healthy diet as long as it's a proper portion and not too frequent. I'll be honest, I still don't enjoy vegetables most of the time, but it's a very small price to pay for a better health.

What is one thing our users can do each day to mirror your success?

Find yourself a fair and achievable goal to follow, then be strict to yourself and make it happen. Don't want to lose 2-3 kgs a week, don't wish to be able to run a marathon in a few weeks, or you'll risk discouraging yourself.
Also, even all your friends and loved ones will probably become obstacles at one point or another on your weight loss way, without wanting to, to top it off, but they'll try to help in their own way. You need to resist the "oh, but just one muffin/chocolate/beer/liquor won't make a difference" and "you've lost enough, you should stop now" sentences. They are benevolent, but obstacles nevertheless.

Yes, you can accept that muffin, but you'll need to eat less to make up for it. Is it worth dropping a whole meal for one small muffin? Yes, sometimes it is, for your psychological well-being, but not too often. You'll know when it's a must.

How can other users apply this lesson to their life?

If you're overweight but still feeling healthy, please do a favor and do regular check-ups, FLS for example has no visible symptoms until it's usually too late.

Thank you for bearing with me through this wall of text, I apologize for any grammar mistakes, I'm not a native speaker. :)

submitted by /u/0rodreth
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2JK0pDc

No comments:

Post a Comment