Friday, November 2, 2018

This is So Much More Than Just Weight...

This is about healing...

I started this journey after discovering my estranged father lost part of his foot from Type 2 diabetes. 3-4 generations from that side of my family suffers from spousal/child abuse and emotional eating to cope with it. Well...sometimes we have to address the elephant in the room instead of paint over it (or cover it with a fancy quilt) and secretly hope not to be trampled.

The other big thing that made me rethink life was I recently found out I have arthritis, and for years my guy has had back problems. Did you know that our knees and other weight-bearing joints carry 1.5-3 times the pressure of our weight? Even small changes can make a big difference!

This has been a journey. I haven't been doing this to "be pretty"... In fact, at my age (40s), I am resolved with the fact I'll probably have a buttload of hanging baggy skin when this is over. I don't care. I just want to be able to keep up with my kids, and see them grow up strong and happy and not in pain or sick.

So, I am learning to cook. Our bodies are what we put into them, and I want us to be healthy and strong. I also want us to have delicious meals to sit down to. Food is so important when it comes to bonding, and I realize this is going to continue to take time, practice, and patience.

I'm trying to get us off restaurant food and packaged stuff 90% of our meals, and I'm trying cooking mostly vegetable/legume-based dinners. My guy isn't super thrilled right now as it has a big change for him (he grew up on meat/potatoes/Wonder Bread type diet), and I am still learning little tricks to making things healthy *and* yummy, but he has been so supportive—and I am so thankful for that.

It hasn't been long, but it is already doing wonders for our health. His blood pressure and my blood sugar have dropped into normal range (his doctor actually wants to wean him off his blood pressure meds). We do not hurt so much now—mostly a little ache on rainy days. We sleep so much better! He stopped snoring, and my reflux is gone. Our kids are running and biking with us. We do family activities on the weekend and work on our home and we have time for fun, too.

I had to stop a lot of the kids' after-school activities for this. Strangely, they don't seem to mind. Now they do little chores and have freetime to play with friends in the afternoons/evenings. Sometimes they do get bored (gasp). Gosh—what a strange thing that is by parenting standards these days. Our friends think we are aliens not bussing the kids around 3-6 days a week. XD

My weight loss has been an ongoing thing over a year, but we've only been really getting into this new nutrition/lifestyle thing the past 6-8 months. It feels good our family eats together, we are saving some money, and it is nice to eat home-cooked meals. I think we could live like this.

submitted by /u/LittleFieryThing
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Ojvtuc

No comments:

Post a Comment