Saturday, December 8, 2018

30 Pounds Down From January 2018 - Passive weight loss with Intermittent Fasting

Hi All. I started out at 289 pounds in January and yesterday weighed in at 258. I'm a big guy already & my goal is about 220, so I'm closing in! It's been slow but steady and I am fine with that. I wanted to share, in case this is helpful to some. I have been chubby since I was a teenager and have always struggled to lose weight, in spite of being very physically active for many years. I started working a desk job so-to-speak about 4 years ago and gained more weight. Once I saw how near I was to 300 lbs I knew I had to change something. I tried low carb, keto, paleo, etc. and being a foodie I always felt deprived so restriction diets never worked out. Then I learned about intermittent fasting. You can do more research as I don't follow a specific plan, but generally it's pretty straightforward. I try to eat only one main meal a day, and all food is typically eaten within an 8 hour window of the day. I'll have small snack in the late afternoon if I get too hungry, and then pretty much whatever I want for dinner. I drink water & black coffee mostly with the occasional soda and maybe 3-6 beers a week. I don't eat a lot of candy or sugary stuff, but it's not off limits, nor is any other food item. I don't really have an exercise regimen other than moving my body through the world and doing stuff, but I want to add in more structured exercise that isn't boring.

I started out using MyFitnessPal to track calories and set to lose 1lb per week. Yeah, I am a little behind the 1 lb a week after 11 months, but I don't care because that is not really my goal. It just helps as a caloric intake reference point. One of the ideas behind intermittent fasting, the way I understand it, is that you fast during most of the day and then feast for dinner, and unless you are just eating utter garbage for your feast meal, it's pretty hard to go over your recommended calorie intake for the day as you get full first. This has worked so well for me because I love food, and can't stand to be restricted on what types of foods I can eat. If I drink plenty of water and just have a small protein or fat based snack during the day just to keep my stomach from growling, I do not have a problem waiting until dinner for an actual meal. Then for dinner I can literally eat almost whatever I want. It took a small bit of getting used to at first, but was not difficult at all. Keeping my stomach from growling was the trick for me, water and light snacks accomplish this. Your mileage may vary. I try to eat normal home cooked food for most dinners, lots of salad, meat, veg, rice, occasional potatoes. But, there are nights when I eat taco bell or pizza or whatever. Nothing is off limits. After a while I stopped using MFP to count calories, because I noticed that with this pattern of eating I usually stay under my allotted calories for the day. Sometimes I go over, but so what? I do what I want! Still losing weight and no anxiety about numbers.

I know everyone likes plans and rules, but for me too many rules is annoying. I like to keep things simple, and this way of eating as worked out great for me, maybe it will for someone else too. I'm happy to answer any questions :-)

submitted by /u/FreedomSquatch
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2rrstTu

No comments:

Post a Comment