Friday, December 7, 2018

Am I sick?

Hi folks: first and foremost, thank you to all who post inspiring stories, analogies, advice, etc. Without the help of all of my internet friends, I would still be in a bad place. Many other subreddits, aside from this one, have made me into a better person. I've learned to listen, and wow, there are so many smart and caring people out there and I have regained faith in humanity.

To those who are just starting out: keep searching. One thing that I have observed over my recovery(s) is that we're all different, and what works for one person, may not work for others. So keep reading, listening, and searching. Try new things. We all struggle with a wide variety of things in this world, we all see things differently. Personally, I struggle with a history of having a mood disorder, abuse, making bad decisions, etc. and well... through the power of the internet, I have come a long way.

Forgive the rambling, but I just want to talk freely.

Be sure to filter out some things, because you'll come across a ton of conflicting stories out there, and well... I can't emphasize enough that what works for one person- may not work for another, with some exceptions of course (I think most will agree that watching your caloric intake along with some exercise will go a long way toward weight loss).

For those who are struggling with addiction (like myself) there are so many great support groups out there. People who can offer advice, give some comforting words, or who will simply listen.

Several people at work have begun to take notice of my weight loss, some have even asked if I'm "OK" thinking the worst. Fortunately, I'm doing well. I'm on the road to recovery, and probably will be on this road for the rest of my life.

Forgive yourselves. Work on making small changes that will pay dividends. Start small.

When I first started on this road to recovery, all I could do was walk 200 yards (depression is a mother fucker) and felt as though nothing was possible. Within a couple of months, I could walk several miles. Eventually I gave up drugs, and for the most part alcohol- though I will still have a few low carb drinks with family and friends from time to time (but only rarely).

I've listened to many professionals on Rogans podcasts, joined several subreddit's like this one, and have started reading books that have really empowered me (Mindset, 12 Rules, etc.) and through a lot of reflection, sharing, and listening, I've become a better person.

This time of year can be stressful for many. Yesterday it took all of my willpower to string up some Christmas lights, and I'm proud of that. They look nice.

Start small.

You can do this.

In the words of Bill and Ted: Be excellent to each other.

Keep sharing. Keep learning.

submitted by /u/writetaildeer
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2RM3F4p

No comments:

Post a Comment