Monday, December 24, 2018

Getting back on track.

Going to be a long post. My basics is I am a 37 y/o male. I have always been overweight, for as long as I can remember. Parents, friends, family have all expressed concern but I never paid much need to it. Finally a few things happened about 4 years ago during a family reunion.

First, I noticed when all the other men were asked to help out with things, I was normally left out, as my usefulness was severally in question. Second, I started losing sensitivity in a couple of toes, and as someone with a family history of diabetes, this was concerning. Finally, I saw pictures getting taken of me and I looked more like a human shaped water balloon than a person. I hated it. I decided then something had to be done.

It took me a little bit to get started. First, I cut out soda to see that affect. I was slow to start though and it took me about another year before I started to get serious about taking better care of myself.

3 years ago I decided to go to the dentist for the first time in 15 years. The main thing they said was I needed to have my wisdom teeth removed. Oral surgeon expressed concern of my blood pressure and their ability to keep me under. Blood pressure was 166/104. So I went to a Dr for the first time in 16 years. That was when I got the next wake up call. I weighed 445lbs.

I decided I needed exercise, so I bought a bike. Didn't use it much though because it felt odd. I put it away and bought a stationary bike that I could ride at home away from paying eyes. While I used it a bit, I didn't use it a lot.

2 years ago, after spending a month and a half using stationary bike, I finally bought a scale. I had lost just 1lb since the Dr visit a year before. So I decided I needed to change the way I ate. I didn't like it, but I signed up for nutrisystem. This was the change I needed. The change in diet caused my weight to drop from 444lbs to 305 in a year. During that year I quit nutrisystem and learned how to feed myself portion control.

My weight loss did slow down though. I still wasn't exercising much, but the diet helped me lose weight. From Jan until June this year I went from 305 to 277. Then I hit a wall. I had picked up biking on the weekends with the bike I bought, putting some 50 mile rides in on some Saturdays, but that and walking was all my physical activities. I pretty much maintained my weight.

Then, trips happened. I spent about 2 months through Oct and Nov travelling all over the country for both work and personal reasons. I slipped back into old eating habits. Since Sept I have grown from 284 lbs to 321. 2 weeks ago I told myself it's time for weight training and the gym. So everyday for the past 2 weeks I have gone to the gym for 30 min to an hour. My bad eating habits are still in effect though. I have told myself Christmas is the last bad day of eating and the day after, I am going back on my nutrisystem based eating habits. I also am going to cut out the carbonated beverages I have once again gotten used to. It's been a crappy feeling watching myself backslide but I think I can get back on track. With exercising now part of my daily routine, I want to get past my previous wall.

I am new to Reddit and join this subreddit to help keep me inspired. This is my first post.

submitted by /u/Jodrok81
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2Ab4kFy

No comments:

Post a Comment