Sunday, December 9, 2018

How to explain weight loss to worried family members (esp. grandparents)?

Hey guys,

Looking for a little bit of advice here.

The Stats: 23F |5'9 | SW: 245 | CW: 179 | GW: 140 (?)

The Backstory: I've always, always been the overweight kid (and the obese adult).

However, after making some changes (basic CICO + finally dealing with my BED), I've been steadily losing weight since this May.

These days, the weight loss has slowed down, but I'm not freaking out about it, 'cause you know, progress is progress. What has changed, however, is my family's attitude to my weight loss, which is making the slow progress thing harder than it needs to be.

The issue: About 7-8 weeks ago (or 8-10 pounds ago), it felt like someone had flipped a switch in my family's collective brain. All of a sudden, everyone was freaking out about how I had gotten too thin (yo, 26.5 BMI here), how I was "anorexic", how I shouldn't lose any more weight, how I was killing myself, how worried they were about me, etc.

This happens after every weekly family dinner... And now I'm getting calls from them after the event, re: trying to tell me I need to stop.

I wouldn't be worried if it wasn't for my grandparents. Their worries could actually impact... Their health.

Both of them have a myriad of health conditions, and losing sleep (literally) and freaking out over this can't be good for them.

The question: How do I explain how weight loss works, what a healthy weight range is, etc. in a calm, clear, and simple terms? How do I get them to believe me? (So far, telling them about BMI and how I'm not in a healthy weight range has been met with skepticism at best and "you must be making that up" at worst.)

A part of me wants to make a PowerPoint presentation for next week's family dinner.

Should I? Has anyone else here dealt with something similar? What's a good way to keep the family happy (and healthy) without sacrificing my own health?

Any help is much appreciated!

submitted by /u/self-love-and-squats
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2L4B7QR

No comments:

Post a Comment