Sunday, December 2, 2018

Issues I've come across on my weight loss journey.

Hey all, I stumbled on some posts from this sub reddit and figured I would share my story and maybe get some insight into some issues I've had while working on my weight loss goals. (CW 350 GW 280)

I'll try to keep it short and simple. I'm 29, nerdy, geeky guy, been chunky my whole life, coming from a Hispanic family I was always being fed that good, but heavy, homemade food. I've never really had a problem with being a big guy, I would be and still am self conscious about parts of my body, but overall I was OK with being the fat funny guy. Earlier this year in March, I was exhibiting symptoms of diabetes (WebMD ftw). I went to an urgent care that eventually led me to an emergency room, because of how high my blood sugar was, and was finally given the official diabetes diagnosis. The doctor pulled me aside that day and told me that if I didn't seriously change my lifestyle from that moment on, I wouldn't make it to my 40s (there were other health issues but that's a story for another time!). This was one of the most defining moments of my life, I simply asked him what I needed to do and was determined to start the change. I was at my heaviest then, 430lbs.

Fast forward to June, I had made the changes to my diet, low to no carb meals, ONE diet soda with my dinner and no sweets! I quickly dropped to 401 just making those changes alone. But I knew that I wanted to lose more and so I started going to the gym and working out. With the guidance of my cousin I was able to overcome the fear that is being an overweight person in a gym and actually start getting to work on myself.

I'm happy with the progress I've been making but now I feel like I have some issues. The first one is body image. I know most people struggle with body image issues even if they aren't obese or overweight, but even when I am losing weigh, actually seeing myself weigh less on the scale, there is a voice in my head that just keeps saying, "you are still fat, you still look fat, don't believe people when they say you look like you lost weight, they are just being nice". I'm sure I'm not alone but sometimes it's overwhelming to be able to come from being excited to see that number on the scale go down to just feeling like crap, if that makes sense.

The second "issue" is that I come from a pretty religious family, although I cut ties with it personally when I went to college. And since I've been working out and losing weight, I have seemingly "reversed", it's in quotes because I don't know if you can actually even cure it, my diabetes. I'm only taking one pill for it now, when I was previously on one other one plus insulin. But now all my family can say is that they are haply that God answered their prayers and that I'm better now. Without getting to much on the religious debate here, it just makes me feel like my work and progress doesn't mean anything to them and then I just get down on myself about it and want to just stop putting in the effort. I know I should only worry about how happy I am now and how exciting it is for me to get progress, it's hard to not be able to share that with my own family.

This became more of a rant but I guess I'm just hoping to connect with people who can understand where I'm coming from and somewhere to share my stories. Thanks for reading

submitted by /u/sapoapo72
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2rfoxoO

No comments:

Post a Comment