Friday, December 7, 2018

Stupid question: calories in canned beans?

Hi everyone.

I am on my weight loss journey and one of my favourite low-calorie dishes is rice with beans. Very rich, hearty, high-volume and filling but still diet-friendly. According to the calorie label, the beans I usually buy have only ca. 70 calories per 100 g, drained, and I usually use the whole can which is 400 total g and 255 g drained - which means it should have only around 180 calories for the whole can, which is wonderful. I usually don't drain them though, because I like to boil the rice in the beans' liquid itself - I feel this gives it more flavour.

So far I assumed that the liquid was mostly water and some salt, but I noticed today that among the ingredients listed on the can there's also sugar. It doesn't say how much - it only says there's around 1-2 g of sugar per 100 g of drained beans, but I don't know how much sugar is in the liquid. By not draining the beans am I having much more calories than what I thought? Or am I just overthinking the whole stuff? This is a doubt that has been bugging me for a while about canned legumes in general - it's a bit confusing.

Thank you in advance for any reply anyways!

submitted by /u/obatzdah
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2E8LyBn

No comments:

Post a Comment