Sunday, March 1, 2020

Weight loss when you don't like being the centre of attention?

I've got a lot of weight to lose, I'm 305 lbs, 5'8" F. I joined a weight loss group a couple of years ago and got down to around 230, but I gave up and weigh more now than I did before I started.

When I was losing the weight I found the attention it drew from my co-workers in particular quite difficult to deal with. I'm an introvert by nature and prefer to fade into the background, plus I work with a lot of immature, rude and quite unpleasant people whose company I would never choose to be in, I have to tolerate them because I work with them.

I don't want to go into detail about my job, but it's quite unique in the fact that it's quite informal and social and there's a lot of downtime in which there's nothing to do but talk to one another.

I'm a very private person and don't like to reveal much about my life and my problems to anybody except the few people I trust, but weightloss by its very nature is not something which can be hidden.

I grew to dread the cry of "WOW, YOU'VE LOST SO MUCH WEIGHT!" when I walked into a room full of people at work because it immediately led to the cessation of all other conversations as everyone turned and stared at my body.

I found the ensuing "HOW MUCH HAVE YOU LOST?!" very difficult to deal with as well, to me this is a very intrusive and rude question which I would never dream of asking anyone else. I suppose people mean well, but I can't help but wonder if they were absent the day tact and consideration were handed out.

I've even had someone announce that I'd really lost a lot from my stomach in particular! Yes, I carry a lot of weight in my stomach, thanks for pointing it out and drawing everyone's attention to it! Again, I would never, ever think of saying this to anyone else.

I've had people get very offended when I've refused cake etc at work, we often have a cooked breakfast at weekends and refusing it always leads to a discussion of the fact that I'm losing weight, I look so much better now than I did before (thanks?) and of course my favourite "SO HOW'S THE DIET GOING?! :D" What is the answer to this question? What answer are people expecting? Does anyone in the world still think before they speak?

Has anyone else dealt with anything similar? I want to start losing weight again but to be honest due to the above I'm dreading it.

submitted by /u/spiralled
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2wnkkoL

No comments:

Post a Comment