Monday, June 29, 2020

Many many NSV! What I’ve noticed after 50lbs weight loss...

I’m making this post because when I first started my weight loss journey I loved reading through this subreddit and seeing all the positive things that weight loss had brought to people’s lives - it gave me something to look forward to and push me to my goals!

  1. Things fit! The event that prompted this post was a surf trip. When I arrived, the main wetsuit sizes available were a women’s 10 and 12 (UK), and my heart dropped when I heard this. I was convinced I wouldn’t fit, but I put on a 12 and it was a perfect fit! I used to be a size 18 so it would’ve been a whole different story last year. It was so nice not to have to ask for another one and actually be a “normal” size.

  2. No-one thinks I can’t exercise. On that surfing trip and on a really long hike with my family lately, I wasn’t the least fit. If I got tired or out of breath at a similar time to everyone else, and there was no suggestion that I was unfit if I wanted to have a break. Before the weight loss I’d get judgmental or silent looks, most likely thinking I was too overweight to be able to exercise a lot.

  3. Getting cat-called/more people hitting on me. A negative and positive outcome of weight loss... Now on runs I get creepy comments from men in vans - which is annoying in itself but a tiny part of my brain thinks that this happened a lot less when I was obese. On the other hand I get a lot more looks from people out on the street. I’m gay and a lot more women give my that knowing look. I’m loving it.

  4. Clothes aren’t for hiding my body. I’ve moved back home from university temporarily and have been trying on old clothes from about 5/6 years ago. Whilst putting it on I was getting worried it was too short or too tight, but it’s not! And if it is tight or short it’s in a good way!!! I’m not trying to hide a muffin top or my thighs and actually enjoying having them out for the first summer in years.

  5. Being naked is nice. I live near the sea normally (Cornwall) and have been skinny dipping a few times recently with my pals. I don’t have to worry about them judging me for my body. I still have stretch marks and a little belly but I just don’t care. It’s made it easier to do fun and spontaneous things.

So many small things that combine to eventually make you realise all that work is worth it. This is not me saying that you need to lose weight to be happy (and it’s a shame society isn’t more accepting of heavier people) but it’s certainly come with some perks for me.

(Just for background: 50lbs lost over about 18months using CICO and running a lot, SW:208lbs CW:158lbs GW:140lbs F/21/5’7”)

Let me know if you have questions or have had similar experiences.

submitted by /u/lottcross
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2NFriLo

No comments:

Post a Comment