Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Don’t look back in anger (at yourself)

I had this realisation the other day... one of those things that seems SO obvious, and maybe to most people it is! But it’s definitely something that hadn’t occurred to me, so I wanted to share it in case it helps anyone else on their weight loss journey!

It’s often said that we shouldn’t compare our progress to other people’s, but how about not comparing it to our own past selves either? I’ve been a whole rainbow of sizes and weights over the course of my life. I’ve been on all sorts of fitness quests and tried all sorts of diets. I’ve had long periods of weight loss and weight gain..

Recently, when trying to shed some weight I’ve tried to instantly snap into a low calorie eating plan and exercise every day, because I remember my past self at some stage being able to easily eat 1200kcal/day. I feel so deflated when I can’t do it now. I question my resolve, call myself an idiot with no willpower, basically mentally beat myself up about it! But I’m looking at a snapshot from the past. I forget to factor in the months I spent prior to the 1200/day memory I’m looking at, where I slowly reduced my calorie input as I lost weight and adjusted to my new diet. I also forget that it’s the fact that I’m actually in a better place now mentally that makes me question whether it’s worth being tired all day for the sake of a few hundred calories less!

So don’t compare yourself to anyone else, but also don’t compare yourself to yourself!!!! Just make slow, sustainable changes.

submitted by /u/Pepperparsley
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3uOqV5l

No comments:

Post a Comment