Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Getting past a mental block at a specific weight

TL/DR Advice needed to get past mental block and stick with healthy weight loss behaviors once I reach a “trigger” weight (which is still obese) and stop another yo-yo

I have been a yoyo dieter my whole life. I have lost anywhere from 50-70 pounds before (3 or 4 times as an adult) and have gained it back plus some.

  1. when I start looking good and making progress, I think “if only I decreased calories more or exercised more I would look better and make more progress” leading me to eat stupidly low calories or excessively exercising and burning myself out

  2. hitting a plateau, getting frustrated, decrease calories or increase exercise and burn myself out

  3. getting so obsessed with the number on the scale and daily weigh ins, that my daily mood is affected; upset and angry when my weight doesn’t decrease, even though I know daily fluctuations are normal as are weekly fluctuations due to hormones, salt intake, change in exercise, etc.

Since February of 2022 I have been back on a weight loss/health routine. To this point, I have lost about 60 lbs with sustainable lifestyle changes (CICO, healthy eating, occasional treats, some cardio and weight training, tracking food and weight only to the extent that it doesn’t affect my mood and my progress). I am very proud of the progress I have made so far, and I thank this subreddit (where I’ve been lurking for a few months) for providing inspiration. All of your positive vibes, supportive statements and suggestions and information is so valuable.

Accurate or not, the weight of about 175 pounds is the point at which I think my previous weight loss attempts have failed, where all of the excessive and unhealthy things I did to lose the weight caught up to me and I gave up. 175 at my height (5’3”) is still obese. That number may be all in my head, but I am getting closer to that number, and I am already thinking about it and trying to be proactive and plan strategies so that I continue to be healthy and not fail again.

Other than just telling myself to “stick with the program”, are there any strategies you can think of to get me through and past the mental block I have at that weight? I was thinking of doing a planned maintenance break when I got to about 175 but not sure if that’s a good idea. I could start tracking macros/protein but that sounds like no fun and ripe for obsessiveness. My number of steps per day outside of exercise is low (desk job) so not sure how to go about improving that (I don’t use the under desk bicycle I have, I find it annoying), and also seems like no fun or not something that would get me past my trigger point here. A new, non-weight related goal might be helpful here at this time…. just not able to come up with one.

Any ideas you can share would be greatly appreciated and sorry if this post is really long! Thanks for your input and I wish you well wherever you are on your journey!

submitted by /u/Tennisandswimfan
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/CiANfvj

No comments:

Post a Comment