Friday, October 14, 2022

I much prefer the term "cutting weight" to "dieting".

This is just my personal thoughts about these words and their connotations (nothing here should be taken seriously). I do think the words we choose are important.

I have always hated the word "dieting". The word has negative connotations to me.

Every time someone tells me they are on a "diet" it seems to be some absurd new fad diet that is painfully restrictive on what a person can eat (as opposed to plain ole calorie counting). It makes you think of the negative parts of weight loss. Restriction. Craving. Consumerism.

To me, the archetypal "dieter" is someone who only eats only potatoes for a month because of something they saw on facebook or daytime television. A diet is something that you try for about a week and then give up because it sucks and makes you miserable. Or the "subway diet" where you order a meatball sandwich everyday for lunch (because hey it worked for Jared, right?).

On the other hand, "cutting weight" is something that an athlete does. The connotations are positive. Every pound lost is an accomplishment when you are cutting weight. It makes you think about your goal. The term also focuses on overall energy balance as opposed to just the intake of calories. This invokes a more accurate idea of the calorie in, calorie out principle

When I tell myself I am "cutting weight" I feel a sense of pride. Hell yeah, I am a badass and I am going to get lean.

When I tell myself I am on a "diet", I think "I really want a fucking cookie right now".

That is all.

submitted by /u/huge_endowment
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/56hcHQV

No comments:

Post a Comment