Friday, October 19, 2018

A new job, a new diagnosis, and a new FitBit. How do I maximize my loses with my new knowledge and massive increase in activity?

After some mild-moderate success with keto, then having to quit due to costs of keto-friendly foods around where I was living, I gained back the 25 lbs I'd lost and gained an additional 12 lbs. I tried to ignore that, though, because we just moved to a new city and, honestly, things have been a bit of a clusterfuck. I was trying to schedule a sleep study for suspected sleep apnea (my fiance and two friends I'm nurses with said they would be shocked if I didn't have it...), look for a job, unpack, and finances were terrible.

BUT! I was finally able to get my sleep study results sent to my PCP (the only real struggle in that process), and she sent it where it was appropriate. It turns out that I basically have a severe case of severe sleep apnea (my AHI is 121--a moderate AHI is around 50-85 or so). That means that every hour I stopped breathing that many times. That's over twice a minute! I finally got my Bi-level PAP about a week after--

Starting my new job! And it's a fantastic job for weight loss. I am constantly walking or jogging and things get even more vigorous from there. What do I do? I work at a dog daycare. :) We have boarders and day campers and they all get to run around and play all day. That means I'm cleaning up after 100 or so dogs, chasing them, or being chased by them. I walked/ran a little over six miles today during a six hour shift, and this is a full time position.

Do y'all know what that means? Here's a hint... I also I started my Bi-level PAP therapy sixteen days ago! Yep! You've got the right idea. Actually getting decent sleep at night, and consistently so, plus going from sedentary to walking 5-8 miles daily five or six days a week means that I am now back to a few pounds below where I started out initially before the loss and major gain.

Working so hard to lose that weight only to gain it back, and then some, really screwed with me. I immediately found myself in the "Why bother?" mindset. That's how I gained the last nine pounds, in fact. But this time I have absolutely everything I need to succeed: I'm very active every day, I have the money for healthy foods, I have ways of tracking my food intake as well as exercise, and the health issues that were making it that much harder are now in check. What I need to know is what information regarding my activity level, sleep quality (my Fitbit tracks my sleep stages and my PAP tracks everything else), and food consumption will be useful in choosing what to eat/and when/how much? I've pretty much only focused on calories before (or fat intake as well, when doing keto), but now that I can afford healthier foods, I'd really like to use that to my advantage.

This has been almost a decade-long issue. I apologize for the length of my post, but I think it has helped get to the point faster than if obvious questions needed asking! However, if I missed something obvious, please feel free to ask. :)

Thank you all again! <3

submitted by /u/holographicbiologist
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Oy3P1v

No comments:

Post a Comment