Thursday, October 11, 2018

Helping my girlfriend lose it

Hi all, I have been reading some posts from this sub and I'm hoping my story/question fits here, if not kindly direct me to the right place.

So I (23) have been with my girlfriend (22) for 2.5 years next month. When we met she was about 180 lbs and I was ~185 (we're both fairly tall people and have lived fairly active lives, her more so than I)

Around 6 months after we met and began a relationship, she tore her ACL in her final year of college volleyball. The recovery was long and depressing, we obviously stayed in more as her mobility was limited, and therefore ate more. In her spare time she ate more and overall we ate much worse than usual.

She eventually peaked maybe about 8/9 months ago at 220 and began making more serious efforts to stop the gain and lose it, got to 213 and is now trying to amp it up more. I on the other hand have always had what I and others consider an exceptional metabolism (I eat massive portions of everything), and only put on 5 lbs, but in that same time began going back to the gym as my new job is not physical at all and I was able to get on a consistent 5 day gym schedule (so its entirely possible I gained 5lbs muscle)

In her efforts it has been a constant rubber-banding to lose it and keep it off, countless times she has lost 1-3 lbs one week and gained back 4-5 the next. The part that baffles me is well before we met she was heavy and did lose the weight and kept it off (170 lowest), yet now she feels like its not going to happen. I am trying to be as supportive and motivating as I can but admittedly its hard because the effort she puts in should be showing better results and her track record shows she should be doing it, and seeing her so discouraged so often gets hard. Now I am NOT saying I have a problem with her at her current weight (202 lbs as of Wednesday) its more that I know she wants to be 170-180 again and I support her towards that as much as if she said she was happy at 202 and just wanted to stay there, I love the girl with all my heart.

Her biggest/fastest success came from a free trial of weight watchers where she lost 5lbs, once she ended the trial and tried to do it on her own the loss stopped and the rubber-banding began. She has since gone back onto it and we are at her lowest weight in 1.5-2 years, yet she is still discouraged, as overall it has been ~9 months and 18 lbs lost. (I know that doesn't sound bad but she has a 2lb/week loss goal so theoretically shes way off)

The goals/strategy we set forth is as follows:

1) Gym minimum 3 times a week (her work and school life is hectic as a nursing student so 4/5/6 days is tough to maintain)

2) ALWAYS stay under as many points on WW as is feasible

3) Cut out fast food/unhealthy food/snacks

4) Allow one cheat-ish meal if goal is met or exceeded

My question to you all, some who may be in this situation, have been in it, or have success in weight loss is, how can she do better (as in see more consistent loss and less rubber-banding, not necessarily increased weekly loss) and how can I help in that.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a mess of a post but its a touchy subject for her and I to talk about and I don't want to "nag" her too much about it but I do want to help/

TL/DR: Girlfriend tore her ACL, gained 40lbs, is having trouble losing and keeping it off, how can she improve and how can I help.

submitted by /u/originalname0123
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2QDB14m

No comments:

Post a Comment