Sunday, October 21, 2018

I can't believe it - I hit my first goal weight!

Progress pic: https://imgur.com/a/LqtLieG

F/27/5'5" 241 > 175

Yesterday I stepped on the scale and was absolutely floored, after 7 months of hard work, I finally hit my goal weight. I honestly didn't think this day would come as I've given up so many times before due to plateaus or lack of discipline, but I did it!!!

Back story: I've lost weight twice before but put it back on because I slipped back into bad habits. I realized that my weight was getting out of control after I started dating my boyfriend, who wore a size 2XL, and his clothes weren't baggy on me, they were a little snug at times. Even though I recognized that I had needed to lose weight, I lacked discipline and control, so I kept putting weight on. When my friend asked me to join her for a weight loss competition at work, I figured I didn't have much to lose, and I had hoped that having a supportive environment would help push me through the tough times. After 10 weeks of hard work, I had lost 35 pounds! Although the competition had ended, I decided to keep the hard work up and see what I could accomplish. After 7 months, I've lost 66 pounds and am officially at my lowest weight I've ever been as an adult! I've lost 5 dress sizes and went from a 2XL to a medium.

A few things that I've learned along the way:

  • This isn't a temporary change; this is a lifestyle change that you have to be able to maintain after you hit your goal weight. If you don't think you can keep up your exercise/eating habits after you lose weight, then you may need to re-evaluate them. I gained weight back twice before because I figured I could go back to being lazy and eating crap, but I realize my mistake in thinking that now.
  • It's not just about motivation, it's about discipline. Sure, you feel motivated after losing a decent amount when you first start losing weight, but what happens when you hit a plateau or have a rough day? Discipline is what makes you workout on days you'd rather lay in bed and cry. Discipline is what makes you eat the oatmeal you brought in for breakfast instead of diving into that box of free donuts at the office.
  • Find workouts you like. Exercise doesn't have to suck if you find something you like- I learned that I loved biking outside, which made time spent exercising go super fast. Now that it's getting colder out, I found Fitness Blender and love their HIIT videos. Liking your workouts and looking at them as ways to improve yourself instead of punishing yourself helps shift your perspective and want to workout.
  • Your body craves what you feed it. Instead of quitting unhealthy food cold turkey, I made small changes each week. Now that I'm 7 months in, I've cut out most junk food and don't really miss it. My body craves butternut squash (seriously wtf?) and brown rice.
  • Stop focusing so much on the scale. This may not apply to everyone, but I had an unhealthy obsession with the scale. It got so bad that I would weigh myself multiple times a day. Weighing myself once or twice a week keeps me on track, keeps me accountable, and reduces a lot of stress if I "gain" due to water weight.
  • Evaluate your bad habits. I've never told this to my friends or family, but I learned that I have binge eating disorder. The fact that I've been able to identify this helps me stop binging. Reading about others that deal with this also helps.
  • Reading loseit, xxfitness, and progresspics daily helps keep me on track.
  • Above all, be kind to yourself and be patient! Everyone messes up during their journey, but as long as you keep going you'll hit your goals.

Now that I hit my first goal weight and am at my lowest weight, I'm looking at every pound I lose from now on as a new record. I don't know what my new goal weight is, but I'm excited to see where I'll go.

Sorry for the rant! So many stories on here have been so inspirational to me, and I hope that my story can inspire/motivate at least one person. Thank you for all of the support; this subreddit has gotten me through some really rough times.

submitted by /u/lanadelrae
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2yrdYCW

No comments:

Post a Comment