Monday, October 8, 2018

Is food only your fuel?

I have been lurking on this sub for a while and have noticed a lot of people repeating the food is fuel mantra, and it’s something I have always immediately rejected because I love cooking and I think eating should be an enjoyable experience. I’m currently 70 pounds down (on mobile so not sure if my flare will work?) and one of the most important things for me on this journey has been acknowledging that it’s ok to enjoy your food. If I spend hours working on a complicated dish I do want to enjoy being able to eat it. I don’t want to feel guilt when I’m eating because I don’t think it’s particularly productive, so what I’ve been trying to do is use my love of cooking and my enjoyment of eating as tools to further my weight loss journey. Finding good low cal recipes can be like a scavenger hunt but I feel accomplished when I find another delicious meal to add to my repertoire. I try and be careful with portioning but one of the greatest things about CICO in my opinion is that you can eat most things as long as you plan your portions and daily calories correctly. I’m curious if there’s anyone else out there who flinches away from the food is fuel mentality, and if anyone has any sources for low cal recipes they want to share. At the moment I follow a lot of recipe blogs for inspiration (which I can list if anyone is interested) and make a point to calculate nutrition on recipes when I save them so the information is ready for me when it comes down to actually cooking.

One last thought - I actually sometimes find myself hesitant to use recipes from weight loss blogs and sources because they are just lower calorie versions of a high calorie dish, and for me you can usually taste the difference. The dishes that work for me tend to be constructed on their own merit and happen to be lower calorie because of the ingredients or processes used.

(Sorry if super rambling hopefully my thoughts are somewhat coherent)

submitted by /u/ellyro
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2y6Ch9i

No comments:

Post a Comment