Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Monthly update to my weight loss

I started my weight loss journey 5 weeks ago.

I'm now a freshmen in college. I no longer struggle with the depression I used to suffer and have been able to take control of my life in ways that I would never have been able to before while I was living at home with my parents. I now am able to fully control all the food that is available to me and I never have to worry about wasting food or eating huge meals since I now have to buy, prepare, and cook almost all my own food.

I've lost an average of 4 pounds per week since I started and am down 23 pounds since I began my weight loss journey. I never thought that I would be able to get my weight under control but this subreddit and many others gave me a lot of the advice and motivation that I needed to get going and continue with it. 4 Pounds may sound like a lot per week, but I never feel fatigued, get headaches, or feel ill in other ways. I eat healthy and I drink lots of water.

Earlier today I made the hour long journey from my own college to one about an hour away to get a Bod Pod (body composition) test done. It was $40 for me as an individual (It's less if you attend that school) and after 15 minutes I was able to get detailed and accurate info on my fat mass percentage and my fat free mass percentage. Another important bit of information I attained was an accurate Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) and my TDEE based off of activity levels. I am sedentary most days so this will be really helpful as I continue weight loss.

I now know that my original goal of 180 pounds is actually impossible (and unhealthy) because that would put my fat percentage at 2.5%. At 5% fat i'd be at 185 pounds, so I am going to settle for a new goal of 190 (about 8% fat) and then decide what I want to do from there.

If you're not sure how much weight you can lose, I would strongly suggest getting one of these tests done. I have a lot of muscle mass, but I now know that I can't get down to what my original goal was. My new goal is more realistic and closer, so I'm also a lot more optimistic and excited to reach it.

My daily deficit is between 1000-1500 calories per day, and I feel great. I go to the gym often (2 to 4 times a week) and while I'm not trying to bulk up one of the main reasons I go is to maintain my current muscle mass and to make sure i'm not losing muscle instead of fat. I used to think exercise was the key to losing weight but it's all about what you eat and how much you eat. r/1200isplenty is an excellent resource for food ideas and motivation to eat less everyday.

Thank you all for being here and giving the great advice that you give! r/loseit is truly a blessing to me and so many others. Keep up the good work!!!

submitted by /u/Yimmelo
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2O6Dh7z

No comments:

Post a Comment