Thursday, October 11, 2018

On people giving unsolicited advice

Ive seen quite a few threads about people giving suggestions for your own weight loss or trying to sabotage it because of jealousy or whatever and just wanted to add my two cents.

When people express interest or concern for your weight loss, I think it's important to remind yourself that you don't know their relationship or history with dieting and food. This goes for people expressing good vibes with you about how you look, as well as people who express concern.

On the people giving unsolicited advice: a friend I met at a dance class I go to commented on my weight loss recently, saying I looked great and didnt need to lose anymore. She even warned me not to lose too much. She herself is very petite and quite the cardio queen. However, I didn't take this as jealousy or anything sinister, because I knew she suffered from an eating disorder in the past. It's still something she struggles with daily, so from this perspective; her words "it's not worth getting obsessed over" is ever more impactful. Because I knew the relevant information about her, I know it doesn't come from this bad place, and actually is quite good advice.

We don't know what other people have struggled with when it comes to their weight and health. I think it's a bit unfair to leap to the conclusion that someone is trying to sabotage instead of having a bit more empathy. I'm sure sometimes it may be true for a truly shitty individual, but most of the time, I imagine it comes from a fear they have about their own weight.

Just needed to get that out there.

submitted by /u/ziggy_starburst2
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2CDm3IB

No comments:

Post a Comment