Friday, October 12, 2018

The Mindset That Helps Me Lose

I lost 50 lbs 4-5 years ago, and gained back 25 with 20 being over the last year (thanks new relationship weight and broken scale). Nearly down 10 again and I wanted to share some of the mindset and mantras that really helps me lose best. They're ones I have either retained from my first go around with losing weight or my current weight loss journey.

  1. The time will pass either way. I can either be looking back months from now happy that I made this choice for future me, or I can feel down about not changing before this point and wondering why I waited so long.

  2. I can't remember what I ate two weeks ago. Food seems important in the immediate, but do not live like the meal you have right now is the last one you'll ever have.

  3. Choose good enough. Can't decide what to eat because you're feeling picky? What is "good enough". Think of something, and eat it. Don't make it into a big production every time. It doesn't have to be the most delicious thing ever. As long as you are still mildly enjoying your food, its not bad food.

  4. Weigh yourself consistently. It can be every day, every week, or every month. Choose a regular time that works in keeping track of where you are at. Don't let a broken scale be an excuse. That's how you gain 20 lbs in one year. Weighing daily also helps eliminate fear of stepping on the scale because it becomes a daily habit.

  5. Celebrate success not with food. You lost another lb this week! So treat yourself to committing to making today another success, not an excuse to indulge since you've lost so much already.

  6. Forgive and move on. You ate more than you planned today? Okay, accept it as something you can't change at this point and focus on right now and tomorrow. Plan for success rather than worrying about failure.

  7. Exercise every day. Do it. Just do it. Do it. Do it, do it, do it! Do it enough, and it helps balance out some of the times you eat more than you planned during the week. It does not balance all of those times though, so don't make a habit of using those "bonus calories".

  8. Weight is lost in the kitchen, but bodies change shape in the gym. Losing weight will change the body to be a smaller version of what it was. Exercising, moving around, gaining muscle changes the actual shape of it.

  9. Track progress physically and visually, not digitally and mentally. Its easy to blow off an app that sends six notifications a day. Make a chart in excel as a calendar and print it off. Add whatever info you want on it. Cross off every day you succeeded. I use mine to cross off the days I have run. I've done everyday since August 8, its physical visual reality that I have reached my goal every single one of the those days. Its a lot of X's. I put my goal weekly weight (1 lb/week loss) on it as well and I check off when I hit it. It is deeply rewarding to see how far I've come.

  10. Eat the way that works for you. I don't feel any need for breakfast, I don't get hungry in the morning. I get hungry in the evening/night. So I choose to have a lighter lunch and no breakfast so I can allocate more calories to dinner or after work snacks. If I've eaten my lunch already at work and am still hungry, I keep an apple nearby. If I'm hungry enough, I'll eat that. Otherwise, it can just be apart of tomorrow's lunch. This works for me, but may not work for you, so figure out what times you feel hungriest versus not and balance it out.

  11. You have to learn to be an adult to yourself and say No. Sometimes you are going to feel hungry, or really want that certain food. But you're out of calories for the day. Sometimes you can get away with getting a small piece of it and enjoying it having only gone over your calories a little bit. But sometimes you have to buy that whole bag of Doritos and your self control isn't so good once you've had a chip or three. So say No now, before you even taste it. You know what the outcome will be, so be the adult in control over the situation. Parent your own self. Saying No may not be easy, but it is rewarding.

  12. Make it an excuse to try new food. You've had skittles before, you can skip having them now, you already know what they taste like. But what about X food? I haven't had that before and its a lot lower in calories/sugar, or its a smaller portion size, or is just something new that I can learn about. Eat that weird looking fruit because its way more adventurous and rewarding an experience than those skittles (especially since they changed to the apple flavor. RIP lime). You can always remember what something tastes like, eating it again is just confirming the memory of it.

submitted by /u/NorthFocus
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2ITrDXF

No comments:

Post a Comment