Monday, October 8, 2018

There's a reason they suggest you see a doctor before changing your diet and exercise

Every advertised meal plan or workout challenge or government initiative has the recommendation to visit your doctor before undertaking a lifestyle change. I've given the advice myself, but I neglected to follow it myself. I figured that I'm young, generally healthy, eat good food, pretty active, and wasn't making a drastic change.

After my last blood donation, I found out that I was low in iron and am not able to give blood until I bring my levels back up (6 months or with a letter from the doctor). I was pretty gutted. I love giving blood and was motivated by a pretty personal reason.

I was also surprised! Sure I don't eat enough meat to consider it part of my regular diet but I have no symptoms of iron deficiency and have more energy than I ever have. So I went to the GP yesterday. It was a new doctor who I hadn't seen before so I told him about my weight loss over the last few months just by calorie counting and eating less, and that I've ramped up my exercise in the same time. My donations also started since I began losing weight. With a pretty slight change in diet, but also using/losing more iron my stores were starting to be tapped out and not getting replenished.

I'm not a fan of taking the supplements but at this stage I'd rather that than having to alter my diet. It was pretty much luck that I found out while I was asymptomatic and probably would have waited until something felt wrong to go to the doctor under my own steam.

TD;LR: It's a good idea to get an extra checkup or two while you're losing weight if you can, even if you feel fine

submitted by /u/wingus__dingus
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2C1pNTb

No comments:

Post a Comment