Thursday, October 4, 2018

Two Years of Maintenance - An Update with pics!

[F/33/5'7"/SW: 187lbs/GW:150lbs/CW: 147lbs) Two Years of Maintenance

About a year ago, I made this post about why my latest attempt at losing weight was ultimately my most successful. Well, it's been another year year and I'm back with some updates and a few more tips/lessons learned that I hope are helpful! Everything I said in my original post is still true for me more than a year later, but I have some new perspectives on some of it.

1) I still track my food consumption, just not everyday. I know in my original post I said to never stop tracking, but after a year, I wanted to see if I could maintain my weight while practicing eating in moderation and it turns out I could. I will say that weight fluctuations are sometimes bigger, but I know what I need to do after a particularly indulgent couple of days. Moderation for me looks like no more than one carb-heavy meal per day and if I've had a big event (a wedding, or BBQ) where I eat in a way that isn't typical for me, I often skip breakfast the following day, or do a egg/meat/veggie omelette for brunch (combining breakfast and lunch).

2) I still weigh myself every day. I know this is somewhat extreme and some people are anti-scale, but it's always been my best gauge for how I'm doing. I don't let the number on the scale determine my mood for the day, but since I practice eating in moderation moreso than counting calories now, I use the scale to help me determine if I need to cut back a bit or perhaps opt for less salty foods. If the numbers are off without reasonable justification, something isn't right and I can make adjustments quickly.

3) DRINK WATER and LOTS of it. My weight is always its most stable when I'm consistently drinking at least 64 oz of water per day. Even if I eat an excessively salty meal or drink a bit more than usual, the consistent hydration levels help offset the impact. I use a 32 oz water bottle and fill and empty it at least twice per day (sometimes thrice). As a bonus, I sleep better, feel better and look better when I'm well-hydrated.

4) Make sure your reason for losing isn't a temporary one. This is a big one for me. My mom has lost and gained the same significant amount of weight multiple times (like I had) for the last two decades and asked me why this last time was so successful for me. My motivation this time wasn't for an event (my wedding) or simply to look better (which is highly subjective). My motivation this time was much bigger and much more permanent - I wanted to set a good example for my new daughter and I wanted to be healthy enough to be active with her. I never want her to go through the weight issues I did, so I want to teach her good habits from the beginning that she can carry with her the rest of her life.

5) In my original post, the point I made about not wanting to lose weight just to look better caught a lot of flack. From experience, more justification for this is that eventually you may stop receiving compliments on your appearance or feeling as enthralled about it yourself. You get used to seeing yourself at a certain weight and others get used to it too. If you're losing weight only for the validation, you may find yourself disappointed when you stop receiving it. I started strength training about a year ago to enjoy the benefits of my weight loss and found this helped a lot. My goals now are driven by my physical ability rather than just by how I look.

This community was a huge help when I was losing, I hope this update was helpful!

Before Now

submitted by /u/radiogeek22
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2pBUJBO

No comments:

Post a Comment