Sunday, December 9, 2018

Had my first consultation with a cosmetic surgeon (and cried a bunch)

Hi Losers

I've lost over 100lb over the last couple of years, maintaining within the same five pounds since July. I carried most of my weight on my front and as a result my whole stomach area is very stretched out . It is my intention to get skin removal surgery and I also plan to post updates (and photos if i'm brave).

I'm in the UK, so my first point of call was my GP. She told me that she has never known the NHS cover skin removal surgery like mine. She gave me some suggestions of local private hospitals and told me that she would recommend choosing a surgeon that also does NHS work as they tend to be more 'grounded'. Also, that those hospitals have better access to equipment if something goes wrong (gulp).

The first hospital I called told me they were offering free ten minute consultations with one of the surgeons and had one slot left the next evening - so I grabbed it. I guessed it wouldn't involve too many specifics, as it was only ten minutes, but figured it would be a great way to get a feel for the place and would at least be a step on the path.

The surgeon was so friendly, calm and open. I wasn't sure what to expect, but he was beyond it. Asked lots of questions and seemed genuinely interested and keen to bring out any hidden details (there's probably a lot of psychology involved with cosmetic work). He asked me about how i'd lost the weight. I told him about CICO, MFP, getting in my steps. He asked: "What changed?"

Me: Well, I started eating a lot less, moving more...

Him: But something happened though, didn't it? There was an event that set this all off. What changed points to head up here.

Guys, I am not an emotional person - especially with people I don't know - but I burst into tears. I really can't explain it. The way he said it was so thoughtful and... invested? And so so kind. I have had so many people notice and compliment my weight loss, but this guy saw through the outer shell of my victories and wanted to know about all the nasty parts behind it. Feeling like I had lost control and was slipping further and further down to an inevitable early death. Feeling disgusted by my wedding photos.

We went over my allotted time by double, but he didn't seem to mind. He showed me a before and after photo of someone with a body like mine and holy hell I hadn't allowed myself to believe it was actually possible before then.

I asked him if I needed to lose any more weight before surgery, the amount of skin makes it difficult to tell. He said as I was a 'healthy, fit young woman' (legit!) and I had been losing so steadily and judging by my frame I'd be good to go whenever.

The next super emotional part was when he simply asked me (and i'm paraphrasing, the whole thing is an emotional blur); "What do you want your body to be?"

I was a little lost for words at the question. He broke it down for me - "For example; do you want to wear a swimsuit or a bikini?"

Aaaand I started crying again. Ugh. I was like, "I've always been the girl with the 'great personality', I have no idea. I just don't want all this... mass."

For the first time in my life I feel like I might genuinely be able to have a 'hot' body. It's so bizarre. I feel like it's almost too much to ask.

I haven't been able to sit still since. I've bitten the bullet and booked in a proper full consultation for Thursday. (£223, if anyone is interested, and it includes any additional consultations I want/need) I'm going to show him the whole darn mess and get an idea of how much money we're talking about.

I'm not a rich person, and I have no idea how i'll find the money, but one way or another I am going to make this happen. Beg, borrow, call in every favour.

I've been working on my list of wants for my body: 1. Wear formfitting clothing (no more exclusively flared skirts) 2. Wear small underwear (no more exclusively full briefs to keep everything compressed) 3. Have a decent cleavage.

It's a small list, but the thought that it might actually happen it blowing my damn mind.

Thank you for reading through this. I hope as this progresses i'll be able to share useful information regarding this kind of surgery in the UK. I also just really really needed to share.

submitted by /u/Cvondoom
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2UvKjlN

No comments:

Post a Comment