Saturday, April 27, 2019

Addiction Thoughts

I've struggled with weight most of my life. Age 63, F. I have alcoholics on both sides of the family so I've been careful about booze after drinking too much in college.

Over the years, I've wondered about food addiction. Is it real or not?

In myself, I feel like it must be. If I can manage to go a few weeks with no sweets, I stop craving them. But if I give in, just once, I seek them out every day. I'll eat the sweets until they're gone. They "call to me". I can't ignore them if they're around. To me this feels like what drug addicts and alcoholics describe.

I need to get serious about my health again. I regained 30 pounds I had lost through a hospital program after I had become pre-diabetic. I had kept that weight off for a few years and had been absolutely strict in not eating even a bite of sweets. A major trauma in our family happened in mid-2017 and I went off the deep end in stress-eating. Now I'm back up those 30 pounds and pre-diabetic again.

Pondering which program to use and where to start (blood work all done, cholesterol and all lipid numbers are perfect), I keep wondering about addiction. Is it real? My husband insists no. I think I feel it.

Are there food-addiction counselors? If so, does it help with permanent weight loss to work with one?

I made a commitment to myself to get back on a program on May 1. In the meantime, I'm pondering.

Thoughts? Would love to hear from others who feel they're addicts and how they beat it.

submitted by /u/Larchlea
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat http://bit.ly/2L8ZzUV

No comments:

Post a Comment