Sunday, October 27, 2019

Hit my October goal with 4 days to spare!

A little background-

I’ve been overweight most most adolescent and adult life. Diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17 paired with not great eating habits and relationships with food made it pretty easy to gain weight. In college, I lost 80 pounds, but picked up lots of unhealthy habits from other college girls (no blame, looking back I wish I could hug all of us and scream “YOU’RE BEAUTIFUL THE WAY YOU ARE! BE ACTIVE, EAT HEALTHY AND REACH YOUR GOALS! YOU DON’T HAVE TO HATE YOURSELF INTO THE BODY YOU WANT! Also guys don’t even know what cellulite is, so don’t worry about it!)

Flash forward, I injured myself and could no longer run, fell back into OTHER unhealthy habits, and gained 120 pounds. Now, some of that is luckily muscle. Through all of it, I found enjoyment in weight lifting, but healthy eating escaped me. Body-wise, I’m a little smaller than when I ORIGINALLY started losing weight, but still in a body that’s not quite comfortable for me.

Blah blah blah, after lots of life changes and goals reached outside of health and fitness (doubled my salary in 6 years and picked up and moved cross country from Michigan to Florida after 3 years of wanting to), it was time to figure out how to be healthy, manage my PCOS, and reach some aesthetic goals too.

I made a goal to lose 8 pounds in October, fit more activity into my day, and to tackle the “ugh I used to be so thin and in shape, this workout should be easy and I should be skinny again already” thoughts that have gotten me down for years. I’ve been responding to those thoughts with love, cutting myself some slack, and focusing on how to treat my PCOS naturally and letting the body changes follow.

This morning, I weighed in and I’ve lost 8.4 pounds! I’ve eaten donuts, Mexican food, went out for drinks, and had several treats in Disney World with friends. I took walking breaks with a coworker on lunch, “ran” on a mini trampoline so it didn’t aggravate old injuries, and started taking inositol. I avoid most grains as they don’t agree with my body, increased the fat I was eating, and get most my carbs from fruits and veggies. Carbs aren’t bad for weight loss, but my PCOS comes with insulin resistance, so for me, they’re an issue.

I’ve also recently switched to a “world’s worst vegetarian” diet, where I limit my meat intake to a few times a month (personal reasons, not health related). This month, I found a good balance of how to eat this way while still getting ~100g of protein a day and keeping carbs around 100-120 net carbs, which feels good in my body.

I feel better in every way. More energy, less brain fog (a common PCOS symptom that gets no attention or treatment from docs🙄), less inflammation, less pain. The changes came so fast, even with the flexibility of grabbing Mexican food with my work wife to celebrate payday, French fries and ice cream with friends at Disney, a few cocktails and extra snacks when I was still hungry at night.

I’m so excited, I had to shout about it to someone! One thing I do miss from my college weight loss days is a support network. Before it became an unhealthy obsession, it was so motivating to talk about successes and struggles with like-minded people.

Thanks for letting me celebrate! Can’t wait for what November holds!

submitted by /u/itsme_katie
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2MRbhCA

No comments:

Post a Comment