Tuesday, October 29, 2019

[NSV] I left the "Obese" club and now I'm a member of the "Overweight" club

[TLDR]: I've been obese for at least half of my life until today! My BMI is finally in the "overweight" category. Got over mental hurdles and owe most of it to IF, CICO, and a girl on youtube.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27F| 5'5'' | Start Weight: 210.4, Current Weight: 179.8, Goal Weight 1: 150

Day 73, 5:2 IF + 1468cal/day average (5 days of 2055cal and 2 days of 0cal)

Hi, my name is Receak and I'm I was a serial diet re-starter. I've been trying to lose weight for as long as I can remember. Through my failed attempts, I ended up cracking the code to a successful and sustainable attempt. That key is my mental health and mindset. I would approach weight loss and a lot of other decisions in life with intentions of negative perfectionism. If I wasn't doing things right 100% of the time than I'd rather be doing things right none of the time. Which meant I was a complete failure with every small slip up. If I saw the scale go up even once, time to give up.

The very first step was realizing I had a problem. I knew something up with me but I didn't know what it was. I first began to realize it, not through my eating habits but, through my work habits. Everyone around me would tell me how good of a job I'm doing but I didn't see it that way. I realized this was way of thinking affecting my relationship with food as well. That triggered me to question myself - why? I started with google and finally put a name to it. Black and white thinking - or - dichotomous thinking.

Second step - resolving that problem. It took me a while to figure this one out. Funny enough, I found answers through a weight loss youtube video I watched (tried to find it again and wasn't able to). This girl was explaining her struggles with her weight loss and overcoming her mental hurdles. Her issues were almost identical to mine! She explained how she overcame those problems by moving away from negative and absolute thoughts. For example: Instead of saying "I can't eat that" say "I'm choosing not to eat that" or "I'm choosing to eat that." So, I did as she said. I kept consciously correcting my inner voice until I started doing it unconsciously. That lead to a domino effect of resolving all my issues with food(and other things in my life) and leading to me making healthier decisions.

Third step - picking up Intermittent Fasting. In my mind, CICO is the base of all weight change and it's the most important thing to get a handle on. What's equally as important are methods of achieving that CICO balance. For me, that was 5:2 IF. Before IF, I was doing 1400-1500 a day. While I did lose weight this way, I didn't feel like I was able to fully live life. I wasn't happy. All my focus went to getting my main meals in and didn't leave much room for snacks or a light tea/coffee time. It left me wanting more, every day. Then I began 5:2. I was already used to fasting (without water) for religious reasons, why not try it for weight loss? So, I gave it a chance. It ended up being just what I needed! Those 2 fast days (water/coffee only) went by like nothing and left me with a bigger calorie goal for the remaining 5 days. I've never been happier or more excited losing weight this way. I get to eat my healthy meals (~1500 cal) and get in a good amount of snacks (~500cal).

I've never been happier or more proud of myself than I am right now. I finally found my rhythm and I've been going 73 days strong, allowing me to get out of the obese category and into the overweight category. I'm so excited for what awaits me in the future.

submitted by /u/Receak
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/36agtJn

No comments:

Post a Comment