Sunday, October 27, 2019

After regaining 40 pounds, I'm choosing to get a fresh start again.

This is my new Day 1. This year has been full of so many highs and lows in both my professional and personal life, as well as ongoing struggles with depression and anxiety. I see a therapist regularly, which helps a lot, but some unexpected things that have come up throughout the year were so bad at times that I couldn't even get out of bed. When that happened, I went into survival mode to focus on my mental health first. I'm really glad that I did, because I'm so much stronger and mentally healthy today than I have been in a very long time. However, I had to put my weight loss efforts on the back burner, since I just couldn't deal with that along with everything else at the same time.

I just looked at my weight logs and saw that I've regained about 40 pounds since this time last year. Considering everything that I've been through, I'm sort of surprised that it wasn't more than that, but here I am now, ready to stop the backslide and take control of things again.

I'm currently off from work and starting a new job in two weeks, so I'll have some time to really begin building better routines again for grocery shopping, meal planning, and going to the gym. I think I need to return to what works best for me, with setting small goals, rather than trying to change everything all at once.

This time last year, I was running my first marathon, and what I learned from training for it is that you just can't expect change to happen overnight. Rather, it's all about putting in small but consistent efforts over a longer period of time, and building habits that are realistic and sustainable.

I can't change anything that's already happened this year (and believe me, there's been a lot of stuff that I have no idea how I managed to push through), but what I can change is what I choose to do from this point forward: Take things one meal at a time, get back into the routine of pre-tracking food before I eat it, and set aside time to do some kind of physical activity each day.

It's great to be back here again. I've got this.

submitted by /u/sabira
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2BLbaSq

No comments:

Post a Comment