Wednesday, October 23, 2019

The reason you fall off the wagon is because you think if you mess up one meal, it messes up your entire progress

This is a cognitive distortion called black and white thinking (aka splitting). Splitting is an inability in a person's thinking to bring together the dichotomy of both positive and negative qualities into a cohesive, realistic whole. Its a defense mechanism I employ frequently and see it so much in other aspects of my life. Weight loss is no different: it’s easy to think in extremes where our choices all good or all bad with no middle ground.

Let’s say your goal is to have 1200 calories a day and you accidentally eat all those calories before noon. You haven’t failed. You can still commit to eating appropriate and healthy portion sizes for lunch, dinner, and all the snacks you eat for the rest of the day.

You don’t have to start fresh tomorrow. You can start today, even after eating your entire calorie budget. I promise you that the healthy eating patterns and shift in black and white thinking will outweigh any small shortcomings.

One thing my therapist told me is that starting to eat healthy doesn’t mean I’m going to pig out and eat my last meal tonight and promise to do better tomorrow. This isn’t my last meal! I can commit to healthy choices every hour of every day and not feel dejected if I fall short of my expectations for myself.

submitted by /u/moods-
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3617hqv

No comments:

Post a Comment