Friday, October 25, 2019

A few questions about how to get started

I have a couple questions for anyone willing to provide answers, regardless of where they are in terms of weight loss history/goals.

Some background: I'm a 26yo trans male (so, born female but on a helluva lot of testosterone) and I just weighed in at 345 pounds. While I don't have any blood sugar issues, I have severe tachycardia and high blood pressure. I take beta blockers for those. They're partially caused by antipsychotics that I take for bipolar depression, but I'm not going to pretend obesity isn't a huge factor. To complicate matters further, I have a history of eating disorders. I was a track star in high school and senior year I developed anorexia, getting a BMI way under 18. I had to go to one of those clinics where they teach you to eat again... I still have nightmares about it. Then, in undergrad, the stress of my studies led me to binge eating and that's how I put on 200+ pounds.

My questions follow thusly:

1) What do you recommend in terms of staying on track with weight loss for someone with mood swings? I'm well medicated but I still have mood lability due to bipolar disorder, and when I'm down I find myself caving and getting snacks for "self-care."

2) What do you recommend in terms of nutrition for someone who has a history of eating disorders? I never, ever want to be anorexic again. I don't care if it can't kill me at this weight, I'm not going to do it. Same goes for binge eating.

3) This one's probably a long shot and maybe better suited for another sub, but any exercise tips out there for people on testosterone? I just started T this year so I don't have much muscle mass... at all... And I'd love to build some. I joined a small kickboxing studio/gym near my house that I'm hoping I can go to regularly, but they have lots of different workout options, so I'm just wondering if some are better than others?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I'll be back later with some progress!

submitted by /u/blk_kt_halberd
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Jn8gYq

No comments:

Post a Comment