Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Day 1000: Journey's End

I have been logging my calories for 1000 days, and I have generally written an update here in r/loseit after each 100 days. I have lost about 50kilograms (about 110 pounds) in about 2 years. I have maintained that loss for a little over six months.

Today, on Day 1000, I'm ready to say that my weight loss journey is over. Of course, the whole journey isn't over - there is a little more weight to lose, and there are more fitness goals to hit - but, I feel confident that after nearly three years (2.75ish) that I know how to make healthy choices for my body. And, at this point, that's all that is important to me.

After my first 100 days, I had a realization: all I needed to do to manage my weight was to "keep trying to stay within my calorie budget (however that may change), and doing whatever else I want to do on top of it. And you know what? That's really not so bad." 900 days later, that is still true. And, it really isn't bad at all.

Over the course of this journey, I learned a lot. I began in the last third of 2018, after I had moved from America to the Netherlands, and spent the following 15 months (including all of 2019) losing quite a lot of weight. 2020 was more about the emotional side: I dealt with adjusting to life in a new body (I had been overweight or obese since childhood), and some body dysmorphia. By the last third of 2020, my life had changed yet again, and my Dutch had improved to the point that I was able to get a toe-hold in a career related to my (former) American profession. Over the last six months, it's become clear to me that I need to be focusing my energy on developing my career: but, all of the work I put in over the last few years to create healthy habits are still there, running noiselessly in the background. They don't need to be front-and-center anymore. Yes, this weight loss thing does get easier.

I still don't quite have a healthy BMI (27ish), but, I am happy with where I am. I know that I have a healthy lifestyle, and I know that the changes I've made to get here have been sustainable, and, for the most part, truly enjoyable: I bike ~30minutes to work instead of taking the bus. I plan weekends and vacations that are centered around hiking (something I have actually always loved, but which has become better and better as I get fitter). I watch what I eat, but I don't torture myself. I don't weigh out mustard on my sandwich anymore (because I'm pretty sure an out-of-control mustard habit didn't take me to 275+), but I do log that I ate a sandwich. After this long, I don't always weigh out the amount of cream cheese I'm putting on a cracker, but I keep the food scale on the table, and check about once a week that it's about 15g (sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more). I accept that sometimes, I'm just going to want to eat cake (and, I just eat the cake). There are no "cheat days," or "falling off the wagon." I just do my best, every day, to eat the right amount of calories for my body. For the most part, I am successful, and I am really happy with that. I don't think I could have asked for a better outcome.

I have maintained my weight (fluctuating between 165-170) since about last September, after intentionally deciding to pause weight loss. I have focused on sustaining what I am doing, and continuing to make regular exercise a priority in my life. I took progress pictures for myself 100 days ago, and, despite not seeing any real progress on the scale, I noticed that I looked a little smaller overall - the bicycle commute has been slowly helping me "recomp," and I think that's great. I have found what works for me, and I know I will eventually reach a healthy BMI -- even if it isn't any time soon.

Slow and steady work pays off. I have seen it first hand. I never had dramatic months where I dropped 10+ pounds (or 5+ kilos). I chipped away slowly and steadily over time. I used this subreddit for support and education (especially the daily Q&A threads, the weekly Century Club threads, and the daily accountability challenges). I realized there's never really a reason to have more than one of something in your mouth (like, handfuls of chips). I made a deal with myself that I would have one portion, and then, after I was finished, if I still wanted more, that I could go and make another portion. In nearly three years, I only actually ever wanted a second portion once (which I had, and thoroughly enjoyed!). I took the time to get to know myself and my body. In short, I changed my habits.

It was all worth it.

I am including links to my previous 100-day posts, so you can see an entire weight loss journey. This is, of course, just my experience. If I say something that sounds useful to you, great. If I say something that doesn't apply to you, ignore it. I don't have all the answers. This is, at its core, a personal undertaking, and it is different for every person.

I want to share my journey as a thank you to the subreddit, for all of the help and support I have received. Odds are, if you recognize my username from posting here in r/loseit, I also recognize yours, and want to thank you all for making this community so special.

If you have any questions, please just ask. We got this!

Day 99 and all of the days in between

What I learned from losing ~22kgs and how I'm going to use it to lose the next 22kg

One year later

400 days of logging

500 Days of logging: Diet Fatigue, a Maintenance Break, and a Gym Membership

Day 600 of logging: Appreciating the new normal

Day 700: I am not an optimization problem (and other reflections)

Day 800: Spending time at Everest Base camp, to combat body dysmorphia

Day 900: Driving the lambo-ME-ni of weight loss (while avoiding the calorie police)

submitted by /u/koopzegels
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2S8hXRR

No comments:

Post a Comment