Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Today makes day 33 of my weight loss journey. Down 10 lbs!

Hello r/loseit,

Posting a quick update/milestone that I wanted to share, hoping that it might help to inspire folks who are going through the same things, or thinking about starting their own weight loss journey.

I was at 305 lbs, (5-11" male, 30 years old) the heaviest that I've ever been. My back, sides, chest, legs, etc. hurt all the time from carrying the weight. I would wake up in the mornings with back pain despite having done nothing strenuous. I got winded going upstairs in my house. I also was starting to have issues with my blood sugar, and testing my glucose put me in the pre-diabetic range. My diet was absolute garbage. You name it, I was eating it. Candy, soda, junk food, cake, cookies, snacks, more soda, pizza, etc. My calorie and sugar intake was off the charts.

33 days ago, I decided to make a change.

My goal was to develop healthy habits and make this a life-long lifestyle change. My wife was all about the idea, and has been doing it with me. Knowing that this was going to be a long term process, I decided to break it down into phases, the first of which I just completed. This was helpful, since it allowed me to make several manageable changes at once, and then maintain them for a while.

Phase 1:

No more junk food. Candy, soda, junk food, cake, cookies, etc. GONE.

Only drinking water, and black coffee. (I started with a little bit of sugar in the coffee, but cut that out around day 15 or so.)

Walk every day. I have a route from my front door to our main road that is exactly 1 mile out, and 1 mile back. So I was walking 2 miles/day.

Begin an exercise regimen of some kind. I started working a 5x5 lifting program with a friend from work. We lift M/W/F and have been doing this for the past 2 weeks. (This is by far the best part)

Weigh myself every morning naked first thing in the morning.

As you can see, there was nothing too radical about any of this, but I started to notice change pretty quickly. The first few days were really tough. I was craving sugar and carbs really really badly. There were many times where I wanted to quit and give up. Then I got to one week. And I realized that I was on a roll, and that I couldn't quit. The numbers on the scale started to go down. My pants and shirts started to fit better. I needed to use the next belt notch up, etc. After a while, the momentum became almost self-sustaining, and not only did I not want to quit, I actually started to enjoy my new habits and my new life. I was sleeping better, my back didn't hurt, I felt strong, and I started to regain some confidence.

All in all, I've lost 10 lbs as of this morning, and gained a fair bit of muscle and strength to go with it.

I don't know if anyone will take the time to read this, but if you're out there and you're on the fence about doing something similar, I am telling you to go for it. You can absolutely do this. Do this for yourself, make a change, and take control of your life. Never quit.

Make choices, not excuses.

-Alex

submitted by /u/ampactual
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3tVtyli

No comments:

Post a Comment