Tuesday, April 27, 2021

ADHD/autism makes cooking a huge chore for me. Would meal replacement drinks be a good idea?

tl;dr: Trying to come down from "morbidly obese", but my mental health prevents me from regularly preparing my own meals. Would protein shakes be a good option for me, and what do I need to know?

Long version: I've struggled with obesity and bad eating habits for as long as I can remember. Growing up, I was always a picky eater - I couldn't stand salad or just about any uncooked foods, and mushrooms in any form still make me gag to this day. It wasn't until I was in my 30s that I figured out I was probably autistic and that it was probably a big cause for these issues, and last year (at the age of 36) I was finally diagnosed with ADHD. I take medication for that now, which helps me stay focused during work, but hasn't made it any easier to do my own cooking.

Since I moved in with my girlfriend, who's also autistic and has similar issues with cooking, we've mainly subsisted on store-bought ready meals, instant ramen, occasional takeaway, and ultra-low-effort meals like burgers, fajitas and the like. This has caused my weight to increase further, of course, and recently I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia, which was a bit of a wake-up call. I've been gradually easing into exercise since then, but I also need to fix my diet - which is difficult, because both of us find it extremely difficult to cook from scratch. Meal replacement shakes seem like a good option, but how viable are they for long-term weight loss? And what other options are there, considering our limitations?

submitted by /u/Coffeevixen
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2PrXp5H

No comments:

Post a Comment