Thursday, September 27, 2018

Appalachian Trail - Best weight loss plan ever.

My love of camping, hiking, and backpacking culminated this year with hiking the entire Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine. Although it was not my reason to do the thru hike, I ended up losing 90-100 pounds on my hike. I have always been active, but I traveled a lot for work so for the past 8 years, I have been eating out at restaurants for lunch and dinner at least 20 weeks a year. Not only did I eat poorly, but it made it hard to stay in a workout routine to keep the weight off. I started in Georgia this February at 305 pounds and finished on July 27th between 205 and 215.

Besides being an experience that I imagine I will remember for the rest of my life, it was essentially a reset for my body. I used to think that my hip and back always hurt from football and track in high school and college, but none of that hurts anymore after dropping off all that weight.

Now is the hard part because I am back in the office (thankfully no traveling) and I obviously don't get near the exercise that I did on the trail. I was operating at such a calorie deficit that my diet usually consisted of M&Ms and Little Debbie snacks on a daily basis and burgers and fries every time I made it to a town. Now I have to flip the formula and eat healthy to compensate for not being able to work out as much. I've put about 10 pounds back on over the past two months but have held steady around 225. Going to be a lot of work to not put it back. Or I could just quit my job again and go hike the Pacific Crest Trail or Continental Divide Trail.

Here is my Appalachian Trail before /after picture. https://imgur.com/gallery/5YlP4nE

submitted by /u/Andron1cus
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2OUYyx2

No comments:

Post a Comment