Tuesday, September 25, 2018

If you're stuck, maybe you need a new goal for motivation

F48 5'6" SW:185 CW:170 GW:unsure

I'm almost 50 (argh, that's hard to see in print!) and I'm in the best shape of my life. And that's what keeps me motivated.

Spring of 2017 found me not able to walk for five minutes due to a bad SI joint and the arthritis in my neck was making it difficult to sleep. I couldn't carry a purse. I was carrying extra pounds (still am) and I felt and looked worn. I knew I had to change.

I started working with a personal trainer and starting reading this sub. By the time summer came around I had dropped a bit of weight, I was able to walk without discomfort and my neck pain was manageable. But I wasn't satisfied with my weight loss. So I started IF and CICO (because of this sub) and by Christmas I had lost an additional 10 pounds.

Initially my goal was to lose another 20 pounds from that point. But I couldn't seem to get up the interest anymore. I was doing a good job of keeping the initial 15 pounds off and I felt, and still feel, amazing. I can deadlift 150 pounds, paddle a canoe for six hours, hike, bike and keep up with my kids. I had been feeling guilty about falling off the weight loss track but at some point in the spring of this year I realized that I was happy with how things were at the moment. If I keep this up, I should be able to keep doing the things I love to do for another 20 years.

My goal all along had been to lose weight and get fit/stay fit but I flipped that at some point. I changed it to get fit/stay fit and lose weight. And it's awesome. I've noticed a big change in my attitude. Once I changed my goal, maintenance was way easier and my guilt was gone. I still plan on losing but now I'm going to focus on smaller amounts and longer time lines. I plan on losing and keeping five pounds off before Christmas, take a weight loss break and then go for another five pounds. Maybe with that pattern I'll get to that extra 20 pounds.

The other factor is age. The quick fix is not what I am interested in anymore. I want long term change and if it comes incrementally, then so be it. I'd rather take a year to keep 15 pounds off than yo-yoing and not be any further ahead.

I guess the point of my post is that a weight loss journey isn't linear. If you're feeling guilty for not being as diligent, ditch the guilt and take a break. Or change your goal. Maintain your weight and get back to the weight loss later. Because you can. It's not failure.

submitted by /u/ottgaut
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2xDRtul

No comments:

Post a Comment