Thursday, September 27, 2018

When people say they "can't lose weight" what they actually mean is "I can't consistently maintain this diet."

I've lost and gained back 80lbs over the last few years. I soon realized that it became impossible for me to maintain because I thought I was "done" and that I was free to eat whatever I wanted again.

A year of restrictions helped me lose the weight but did not teach me what I needed to know about myself and my unhealthy relationship with food.

And now that I've gained it all back, it's not as easy as just "getting back on the horse" because what worked for me last time isn't working for me this time. I live in a different state, I have a different job, I'm surrounded by different people, and I have different financial circumstances. I can't expect the same level of outcome from myself when my environment is completely different.

The only thing that helped me START losing weight 80lbs ago was telling myself "it was only temporary." And now I see how wrong that was for me.

Some people might be able to "go hard" for a year and then cruise and maintain. I obviously can't, that doesn't work for me.

So, I have to find a different approach that will help me gain back my health and maintain my weight into the future.

CONSISTENCY IS THE ONLY KEY TO WEIGHT LOSS.

When you're about to start a regimen, you have to ask yourself, "can I keep this up forever? Can I live like this forever?" If you find it hard to catch your breath between the hours at the gym, the hours in the kitchen measuring and prepping, the hours researching, and the hours pining over what you can't have, THEN YOU ARE ON THE WRONG PATH. I don't care if you're losing weight, you're also LOSING YOUR MIND.

You have to set up a healthy and sustainable lifestyle that will benefit you today, tomorrow, AND 5 years from now.

I just needed to get this off my chest and as I'm writing this it just seems like what I wish someone would say to me.

Keep on keeping on, losers. It's a lifelong journey. Find what works for you.

submitted by /u/hyptian
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2DzwpdR

No comments:

Post a Comment