Thursday, September 27, 2018

What do you say when a friend says they tried tracking for months and it didn’t work for them?

So, last week, while on vacation with a friend, she wanted to talk about weight loss (because mine has been dramatic). She kept trying to argue that her weight gain is caused by carbs and that she tried tracking, was only eating 900 calories per day for three months, and didn’t lose any weight. Given that she is 5’3” and overweight (though she claims she has a healthy BMI-no way that is actually true), there’s no scientific explanation for her maintaining on 900 calories. I’m convinced that she either wasn’t tracking every day (so had cheat days) or was severely underestimating certain foods (for example on this trip, we did wine tasting at several wineries and each ordered a half bottle of wine at a restaurant and she argued with me that we had only had maybe 2 glasses of wine - I would have estimated 4). My personal opinion is that she has no concept of her alcohol consumption. She probably thinks she ate less calories than me on this trip (I ate a big breakfast every day and indulged a few times, but drank considerably less and ate 1/2 my portions at most lunches and dinners).

At first I told her that I didn’t want to argue about CICO or discuss it further because I wasn’t going to convince her that the science was right and she wasn’t going to convince me it was wrong. But she wouldn’t let it go. My advice to her was to talk to her doctor because if she really wasn’t losing on 900 calories per day then something was wrong with her metabolism. I also told her, that she could certainly try low carb if she thought she could stick to that (she is a vegetarian and works as a chef at a bread focused restaurant) as all diets work as long as you work them (because honestly they all actually do CICO). Was this good advice?

submitted by /u/mmrose1980
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2OOBrUN

No comments:

Post a Comment