Tuesday, September 25, 2018

I started the journey

38 year old 6'2" 340lbs male with highly sedentary life

After doing a whole lot of nothing I finally made up my mind to start the journey to lose weight. Buying clothes -- mostly shirts and pants -- just to fit me was just getting too much of a pain in the ass. Special stores. Limited selection. Expensive. Not that I care about fashion but I prefer to conceal carry a firearm and that requires clothing anywhere from 1 to 3 sizes larger. So when you're naturally a 2XLT or 3XLT shirt and 50" waist that begins to present a problem. (Belts are not a problem...good gun belts, and yes those are a thing, commonly come in sizes that exceed a 60" waist...with another 6-8 inches tacked on top of that for gear. )

I made up my mind on Friday that starting Saturday I was going to do whole hog CICO. I got the myfitnesspal thing, plugged in the digits and it calculated a daily caloric intake for me to safely lose weight. I'm now in day four of tracking everything and making decisions based on that data. It's only day four. I know I have a long way to go. But it's also day fucking four. I turned down lunch at work with friends one day. I turned down donuts at work one day. I turned down going out for big, greasy, bacon filled, delicious burgers tonight. I know that's not much but for me that's a big deal. That's probably three days worth calories, easily, I decided against adding to my daily intake.

At some point I plan to add in some exercise. Too much to research already. I lost like 60 lbs 8 years ago through diet and exercise but the exercise was so painful -- bad joints-- I eventually quit. I learned then that exercise without diet is essentially useless for weight loss. I'm also not really in a position to add movement to my activity. Just cutting the grass results in four days of ankle pain due to overuse. I rarely do more than 1200 steps a day so I probably need to build this gradually up to avoid setbacks to being constantly in pain. So yeah, drop a few pounds and THEN gradually increase activity.

Only time will tell how things go. I know I have a lot to learn. Like what normal people eat and how to marry that with my food preferences (I *hate* vegetables beyond canned green beans, corn, and broccoli). I also need to figure out how the social stuff works since a lot of social interaction involves food and I can't really do that if I want to lose weight. But this sub has been so motivational. Thank you all. I only hope I can keep this up.

submitted by /u/zshguru
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2zuiT7r

No comments:

Post a Comment