Saturday, October 20, 2018

A new beginning for me (mid journey)

Hello everyone. I just joined reddit and this community today. I have read posts on reddit before, I just never bothered joining. But today I woke up realizing that I need to make a change in my life. Let me take this back a little bit and start from the beginning of my main weight loss journey.

On Dec 23, 2016, I woke up in the early hours of the morning in a blind panic. I couldn't speak, I couldn't stand, I was terrified. I half crawled out to the living room. I couldn't make it all the way to my sister's room. I tried calling out to her, but my voice was failing me. Finally her alarm went off and she started waking up. She could finally hear me. She came out to check on me. I had a stroke. She called 911. The ambulance came. We lived on the 2nd floor. The EMTs felt I was too fat to safely carry down the stairs. Our building didn't have an elevator. So I had to walk do the stairs with EMTs supporting me in the front and in the back. I was so sure that I was going to fall. I have never been so humiliated in my life.

While at the hospital, they discovered that I was also diabetic. My last doctor appointment showed that I was only prediabetic and I wasn't due for more labs for another few months. This was the tipping point. How could a 45 year old have a stroke? Some how I did.

This is what I looked like prior to my stroke. 311 lbs

I was living with my sister Brenda at the time. She started freaking out since I was the youngest of all of us. She had a granddaughter who was just a toddler. She couldn't imagine having a stroke and not being able to play with her granddaughter. So we both got serious about weight loss. I needed to get healthy again. I worked at learning to walk again. I still have to use a cane if I am standing or walking too long. But I can do it.

I first got my fitbit in Feb 2017 shortly after the stroke. I was only able to do a few hundred steps per day. I had gotten myself up to 5000 steps per day eventually.

I eventually was able to get down to 230 lbs. I didn't get a picture of myself at that weight, but I did manage to get one at 250 lbs holding up a pair of pants that I wore at 311lbs. 250 lbs

I ended up having to move in with a different sister. This one doesn't care about her health. She is diabetic and doesn't care what her blood sugar is, she doesn't care about what she eats either. She constantly brings junk food into the house. So I started gaining weight back again. I am now back up to 270 lbs. I know that I need to make a change. I know that only I can change what I am doing. I feel alone in my weight loss struggles right now because I feel like I am not living in an environment that is supportive.

I am hoping to count you all among my support buddies and we can give each other encouragement in this process. I know I definitely need it.

submitted by /u/SensitiveButterfly
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2Aktn9R

No comments:

Post a Comment