Tuesday, April 2, 2019

I [F/24/145lbs] really can't seem to lose weight!

Background:

I'm about 5'6.5 and have generally been pretty slim for the majority of my life due to being a child athlete. I was a competitive figure skater (very, VERY in shape) for about 10 years up until I was 13, and still stayed very thin up until 18 (not sure why, maybe due to habits, metabolism, or simply just because I was a teenager). I included the fact that I was an athlete because I've heard that if your body has a history of exercise, it sort of "remembers" what it's like to get fit and does so more easily (I'm not sure how credible that is- I highly doubt that's a solid case but whatever)? Anyway, I went to college, went wild with food, and went from 110lbs to 155 lbs within 2 years. Got back down to 130, and stayed there pretty comfortably until last year. Then, I've found myself back up to 150, and now 145lbs. I have on and off anemia as well as a vitamin D deficiency.

Habits:

I admit I've been very stagnant for the past year. Got myself two part-time desk jobs. One of them I work from home. I basically have only been moving to go downstairs to eat or walking to my car. As for my eating habits, I still have the habit of eating 1, sometimes 2, meals a day that carried over from college. However, that never seemed to bother me much and I know that intermittent fasting is a thing? I don't drink sodas or juices, nor do I eat lots of junk food. I don't eat a lot of vegetables though lol. At home we eat a lot of chicken and fish. Occasionally we get lazy and go for pasta or rice. I know "carbs are the enemy" but I really feel like we don't eat enough to make a drastic difference? Maybe a cup of rice once a week! I absolutely don't get enough sleep.

Recent Changes:

From last December to this February, I started jogging on the treadmill every other day. I'd put it on a 5.0 incline and walk half of a lap at 2.5 speed and jog the other half at 5.0 speed. I'd do that for maybe an hour. However, I was really frustrated to see that nothing was changing! I completely understand that weight loss is a journey and there are no quick fixes or overnight miracles, but I was doing this every other day for 3 months! I expected, I don't know, SOMETHING to happen? My weight didn't change, nor did my measurements or "jigglyness". It was really discouraging. Then I got really sick and basically couldn't run for all of March. I'm trying to get back to it now. In addition, I have been doing some blogilates full body workouts here and there in a feeble attempt to keep the cardio from eating what little muscle I still have left.

My dad got on this calorie counting kick about a month ago. I've been tagging along, just not as seriously. I don't really snack throughout the day so I just count main meals. I only counted religiously for one week, and from that I think I stayed on average at 1600-1800 cal per day, 2000 on special occasions? I know a lot of people say that's low, but I don't recall eating less than usual that week. Would it count as starving/ going into starvation mode if that's what my body has been used to? Just a note: I started calorie counting during March when I wasn't jogging. We typically try to stay at 2000 or below. And even though dad has lost 10 lbs, I have yet again seen no change. I think I expected to lose weight counting calories because I'd stay under 2000 calories, but from what I'm seeing, what I'm used to eating has actually been under 2000 all along.

Basically, I'm not sure what to do! I'm afraid that cutting more calories off a 1600-1800 cal diet would make me tired and dizzy (I'm already anemic and vitamin D deficient!), and exercising doesn't seem to be making a difference. Because I've been so sedentary over the past year, I really thought that these changes (even though they aren't horribly drastic) would have at least done something, you know? A pound or two... I really want to get back to 130lbs. I was very happy there. What do you think I can do to drop these 15lbs?

submitted by /u/SweatyAssumption
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2UfXmvf

No comments:

Post a Comment