Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Accidentally unlocked the key to weight loss for my dad. Now the race is on.

So, my dad has always been a big guy as long as I've been alive. Throughout his adult life he's fluctuated between ~220-270lbs. When I was 12 I weighed in at 180lbs, to which my dad remarked "that's only 40lbs form what I weigh!". This scared the hell out of my and lead to me losing weight and becoming very fit by the time I got to college, getting down to under 150 (at 5'7''). Unfortunately, in the proceeding 4 years I gained weight until I was at 237lbs in December 2018. In the year and a half since I'm down to about 215 today.

Ever since I started gaining weight, I tried to use logging/CICO to slim down with the loseit app. However, I had poor discipline and a nonexistent support network so it didn't help until late last year/early this year when I actually started losing a little weight.

Now, my dad is also in an eternal battle to loose weight and has also had varying success over the years. Of course, I told him all about logging, which he sounded interest in but never had the patience to actually install the app and set it up.

Due to the lockdown, though, my dad is now Bored with a capital B and truly can't figure out what to do with himself. So, I walked him through the process of getting the app set up. I was expecting him to give up after a few weeks, or just not 'get' that he had to log every single thing as exactly as possible to see success. Amazingly, though, it's worked absolute wonders for him. In about a month and a half he's gone from 250 to 235. He's a very logical, math-minded type A personality so the concept of logging and CICO just clicks with him.

Of course, I'm super happy for his success. But a few days ago I had the horrific realization that he might end up becoming lighter than me at some point! We're almost exactly the same height so the comparison between our weights is valid. I've been floundering in my weight loss and self control lately, and if I continue it looks like he might beat me to 200lbs by late summer.

So, we're racing to the finish line. Whoever is lighter by Christmas wins. There are no 'stakes' so neither of us is going to be unsafe about this, but it's amazing motivation to keep on track. For the past few days, whenever I had the urge to stop logging/eat junk food, I thought about how little I want to win the title as officially the fattest guy in the family.

I understand that to some this may seem too competitive and potentially unhealthy, but in my view having this kind of friendly contest is an awesome motivating force to keep me on track.

submitted by /u/THICK_CUM_ROPES
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/37iCYfU

No comments:

Post a Comment