Monday, June 8, 2020

Active but still overweight, trying something new

One of my goals this year is to lower my BMI (currently at 29). I'm very active but have been overweight since high school with a few short periods where I lost weight & regained. Being active is one of my main motivations for weight loss since I know how much easier things get when you're lighter. But I have a destructive pattern. I start Mondays feeling fresh and ready to try again. By Wednesday, I'm exhausted and start overeating and drinking in the evening. By Friday, I'm a mess and usually binge and drink to the point of tipsiness even when I'm planning to go out for a big run or MTN biking the next morning. By Sunday night, I'm starting to recover but eat and drink my anxiety about the week ahead. I carry all my excess weight in my mid-section and my face. I hate the feeling of going for a run and having to pull my tights up all the time because my belly fat is pushing them down. I had to take 'before' pics for a yoga teacher training program and while impressed with my flexibility in most poses, the spare tire was embarassing. My dad's side of the family has a history of heart problems so I'm also motivated by this. He has had 2 heart attacks before age 60. I hope to join one of the accountability challenges here. I think having a social group to stay on track with will be helpful. My husband has an incredible motabilism and can eat nonstop without gaining and no one else in my social circle is going through this right now so looking for some ppl to share the journey with. I'm going to try calorie counting through my FitBit but I have found it really annoying before because I don't eat a lot of packaged food (lacto-ovo vegetarian) so have to enter in like 10 things for each meal. I also really want to try limiting alcohol to weekends only and just a few drinks, not a half bottle of wine in an evening. For me, portion size is an issue. I'm always hungry - has anyone successfully been able to turn that off? I drink enough water and eat lots of veggies. Maybe I'm not getting enough protein? Additionally, I'll continue to stick to my current activity levels: yoga 6-7 days a week, hiking/running/cycling in the evening or afternoon. How do you all stay on track once exhaustion hits? I find my job stressful and am trying to change jobs right now. When I'm tired like I was last week, I easily spend 3 hrs a night sitting on the couch being a zombie watching TV. Wasted time! Hoping to get it right this time and develop more discipline around food and alcohol. It's so hard knowing what you could do if you were at a more balanced weight but continually failing to work towards your goals.

submitted by /u/rixonbikes
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/2UnzVOk

No comments:

Post a Comment