Monday, June 22, 2020

FAT MENTALITY: The most important part of weight loss everyone forgets.

I am writing this because it is something that I've come to realize after years of weight loss. I rarely use reddit and made this account just to post this because i feel that it is so important. Some background: I'm a guy in my early 20's, I was overweight most of my childhood. If you're reading this you probably know how shitty it can be growing up as the fat kid in school; the teasing/lack of confidence can really weigh on you. After being fed up with my life for years, in late middle/early high school I started really trying hard to lose weight. Going from someone with no exercise to exercise and dieting, I started seeing results rapid results early on. But it was never enough, the more weight that I lost, the more that I started to critique small imperfections. This cycle continued for years, my weight fluctuated up and down and I continued to be insecure about it. This brings me to senior year of high school, while up to this point I probably wouldn't have been considered "obese" by any doctor, I still hated how I looked and I decided to really go hard in the gym during my wrestling season. I worked out for 2 hours a day, 6 days a week. My life during this time completely revolved around training. I started my senior year of high school at 5'11" 215-220 lbs, by the middle of the school year, I weighed around 180-185 a weight I hadn't been at since 7th grade. I was in the best shape I had ever been in and for some reason I just felt empty. I looked in the mirror and didn't know what I was staring at. I began to realize that losing weight was not an end-all-be-all to happiness in life and being fat is only a symptom of your life situation and not a cause. YOU CAN LOSE ALL THE WEIGHT IN THE WORLD AND STILL BE FAT IN YOUR HEAD. In school I might have seen a girl I wanted to talk to or ask out and the first thing that came to my mind was that I'm fat and have no chance, so I wouldn't even pursue. I thought if I lost weight it would fix several problems in all areas of my life and that is simply not the case. I had to fix the root of what made me overweight in the first place, food is an escape, its like a drug. When you're eating, it takes you away from the rest of the world for those few moments. Obviously, this makes you gain weight over time and does nothing to solve the problem. On the flip side, exercising can do the same thing, while this is a much healthier way of relieving stress, don't use it to shield away from confronting what you need to in life. You don't need to wait to lose weight to start loving yourself, you don't need to wait to lose weight to be happy. And actually if you drop the fat mindset it will make your journey of losing weight much easier. Why do you eat? What are you trying to escape from? Look your demons straight in the face, don't trade an addiction to food with an addiction to losing weight. Don't put off important things you need to face until after you lose the weight. Sorry this is so long, just hoping even one person can read this and benefit from it.

submitted by /u/ProperSatisfaction42
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/37SRJq1

No comments:

Post a Comment