Thursday, June 18, 2020

I'm at a loss...and not the good kind. Seeking advice.

I'm no stranger to weight loss. Went from completely unhealthy and 250 lbs to 160 and in shape. I know how to do this with diet and exercise and have helped several others get started and achieve their goals.

However, there is one person that I am completely flummoxed by. My wife. After our last child, by c-section, 10 years ago her weight got away from her. She's 50 years old, 5'2" and went from about 125 to 170. Over the past few years, we have worked on her diet and she did well not gaining more weight but could not seem to lose. We chalked it up to not being fully committed the things she would need to do to lose weight.

In March she came to me with tears in her eyes and said she was ready to do this for real this time. We adjusted her diet down to 1200 calories a day and she started working out with me. She stuck to it religiously. After 30 days she got on a scale...not a single pound lost. She was frustrated to say the least. I told her to hang in there and keep plugging away...the weight loss would come.

In mid to late April we had another weigh in. Nothing. Again frustration. We eliminated practically all artificial sweeteners from her diet as I feared those could s brewing with her insulin response. I also hired a personal trainer for her who works her out 4 times a week and kept her on the same 1200 calorie diet. She has stuck to this plan...no cheating whatsoever.

I can see positive changes in her body...but again, this morning she stepped on the scale...and again...nothing. I've talked to her about the possibility of some newbie muscle gains offsetting her fat loss on the scale...but honestly, even with that consideration, I would have expected to see at least a 5 to 7 pound loss by now.

I'm at my wits end. Not sure how to guide her. We've even had her thyroid checked out...no issues. Considering a weight loss doctor but am hesitant because most of the ones I have seen only recommend exactly what we are doing plus phentermine and pre-packaged meal plans. I'm opposed to phentermine as that is not a long term solution and their is a significant rebound effect when you stop taking it.

Not sure what to do and turning to you guys for recommendations/advice. Have any of you encountered anything like this? How did you get through it? I know how to deal with plateaus...but this is more of a failure to launch?

submitted by /u/Hank_fight_Hank
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3d8itUE

No comments:

Post a Comment