Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Self control is a muscle too!

Like many on this sub, I've struggled with self control/discipline for a long time. I've always found it easier to ask for forgiveness from myself than to ask for permission, and when I stopped forgiving and started hating, my drastic decline into obesity followed closely behind.

About a year ago I started my weight loss journey with little to no real progress. Of course it's going to take time to lose it, but the thing that kept setting me back was my inability to control my cravings. I thought that because I had finally admitted I had a problem, "sought help", and gotten medicated that I was cured and that the pounds would just fall off. So when they didn't, I lost a lot of that steam. Fast forward a few months, and my sister and I are both having issues losing weight. We regularly chat about our struggles, and she said something that immediately clicked for me.

Self control is a resource, and just like any resource, it can get depleted.

For so long I've beat myself up for not being able to deny every craving, or for not being disciplined enough. Yes, I lack those things and I need to acknowledge that progress will be slow until I have them, but for right now my battle lies with building up my stores of Self Control. Just like the all the other muscles I'm working on in the gym, I need to work on my brain's Self Control muscle. For now, that doesn't mean denying myself every little craving, but maybe the some of the bigger ones at first. Then moving onto the medium ones, and then the small ones, until I can eventually say "No thanks, I'm good!" to the things I know are bad for me and my progress.

I'm sure a lot of people have already come to this conclusion, but I felt that this was a great "Ah ha! Moment" for me. So, here's hoping this post can help someone out there struggling as I was. I'll always be a work in progress, but a huge part of that is thanks to my sister and to this sub. Thank you all for keeping me motivated, and I'll see you guys in Onederland!

submitted by /u/Cassiopeia2996
[link] [comments]

from loseit - Lose the Fat https://ift.tt/3dw3RyD

No comments:

Post a Comment